Hungry? Craving a comforting and delicious soup that soothes your soul? Then look no further because I have the perfect recipe for you! Introducing my Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup recipe. It’s creamy, flavorful, and easy to make in just one pot using the Instant Pot pressure cooker. Trust me; one bite of this ham potato soup will instantly lift your mood and warm your heart.
With the winter season approaching, we all need a hearty bowl of soup that’s easy to make yet irresistible. This ham potato soup recipe is precisely that- comfort food at its finest. It’s an ideal dish for cozy family dinners, gatherings with friends, or just a lazy day indoors when you want something warm and filling.
This Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup recipe is not only comforting but also customizable according to your taste preferences. You can adjust the seasoning, add more cheese if you are a cheese lover, or make it spicy by adding red pepper flakes. The possibilities are endless with this versatile ham potato soup recipe.
So dust off your Instant Pot, grab some ingredients from your pantry, and get ready to indulge in the ultimate comfort food- my Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a cozy meal that can be whipped up in no time, then this Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe should definitely be on your list. This soup recipe packs a punch of flavor, especially with its sharp cheddar cheese and cooked ham ingredients.
Not only is this recipe easy to make, but it’s also perfect for satisfying cravings on a chilly day. The soft, creamy potatoes and tender chunks of ham blend together in a harmonious way that will leave you wanting seconds (or even thirds!).
With just 9 simple ingredients, this soup recipe comes together quickly in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. You’ll save on cooking time without sacrificing flavor or texture. Plus, the convenience of making it all in one pot means less clean-up time for you.
Whether you’re craving a comforting bowl of soup, need to feed your family, or have guests over for dinner, this Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe is the perfect answer. So why wait? Give it a go and see what everyone raves about!
To make this Comfort Food recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
(a) Main Ingredients:
- 4 cups peeled and diced gold potatoes
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
(a) Additional Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. minced garlic or 1 tsp. garlic powder.
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Black pepper, as needed
You can also add some extra toppings to make it more savory and delicious, like crumbled bacon or chives.
The Recipe How-To
Now, it’s time to get cooking just like a pro chef! I’m going to take you through the steps for creating this Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe. You can be sure that every step is essential for the creamy, dreamy soup of your comfort food dreams!
Before we start making this soup, here are the ingredients you need:
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 4 Large gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup Cooked ham, cubed
- 2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks Celery, chopped
- Pepper to taste
1/4 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Onion powder
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
Let’s get started on making your soup dreams come true!
Step 1: Melt butter
First things first. Set your Instant Pot to “saute” setting and heat it up. Add the butter to the pot and wait until it melts.
Step 2: Add onions and garlic
When the butter is melted, throw in your onions and minced garlic. Keep stirring until both become tender.
Step 3: Combine potatoes and ham
Now add in your dried thyme, cubed potatoes and cooked ham. Mix everything together.
Step 4: Add broth and vegetables
Next up is adding chicken broth into the mix along with carrots and celery. Don’t forget to add some pepper for that extra kick of flavor!
Step 5: Lock lid and cook
Put the lid on your Instant Pot securely and lock it up. Select manual mode and set your timer for 7 minutes.
Step 6: Natural release and stir
When the cooking cycle is done, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. Then, open the valve and carefully remove the lid. Give your soup a good stir.
Step 7: Mix flour and milk and add
Make a flour-milk mixture in a separate bowl; combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder, shredded Cheddar cheese, and milk until smooth. Add this mixture to your soup and keep stirring it until everything is evenly mixed.
Step 8: Melt cheese
You’re almost there! Set your Instant Pot to saute mode again so you can melt that delicious Cheddar cheese. Keep stirring until it’s melted and everything looks like a cheesy paradise.
Step 9: Enjoy!
Serve the soup hot with some sourdough bread or croutons (if you like) on top of it! Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up
Substitutions and Variations
Are you looking to switch up this Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup recipe? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. Here are some simple substitutions and variations that can take your soup game to a whole new level!
– Ham Substitutes: If you don’t have cooked ham on hand, you can easily substitute with other proteins such as bacon, turkey or chicken.
– Vegetable Add-Ins: Amp up the vegetable content of your soup by adding in some veggies like green peas, spinach, bell peppers or zucchini.
– Cheese Options: While sharp cheddar is the recommended cheese for this recipe, feel free to experiment with different cheeses like Parmesan or Gouda.
– Potato Selection: Although gold potatoes are best for this Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe, you can also use russet potatoes or Yukon golds.
– Spice Preferences: Adjust the spice levels in your soup by increasing the amount of dried thyme or garlic powder. For an extra kick of heat, add some red pepper flakes.
Remember, cooking is all about experimentation and making dishes truly your own. Don’t be afraid to play around with the ingredients and make substitutions that fit your palate or dietary preferences.
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve made this delicious Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup, it’s time to serve it up! This hearty soup is perfect for lunch or dinner, on a chilly day. Serve with a side salad or some crusty bread for a complete meal.
I personally love pairing this soup with a simple green salad dressed in vinaigrette because the acidity of the salad nicely balances out the richness of the soup. Some crispy garlic bread would also be a great addition.
If you’re hosting a dinner party, this soup makes for a great appetizer course as well. Serve it up in small bowls or shot glasses so your guests can enjoy its warm and savory flavor before moving onto the next course.
When it comes to wine pairings, choose something light and refreshing with high acidity, such as a Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay. The acidity of the wine will complement the creaminess of the soup and cut through the richness of the cheese. For beer lovers, an amber ale or pale lager would be great choices.
Overall, this Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is a comforting dish that can be served in many different ways, so get creative and find what works best for you!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As much as I love cooking, I know that sometimes we just don’t have the time or energy to whip up a meal from scratch every day. Thankfully, this Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is perfect for making ahead of time!
To make ahead: Simply follow the recipe instructions until it’s time to add the cheese and milk. Instead, let the soup cool completely and then transfer it into an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve, reheat the soup on low heat in a saucepan until it’s heated through. Add in the shredded cheddar cheese, and slowly pour in milk while stirring until it is warmed through.
To store: If you’ve already cooked this soup and have leftovers, don’t worry – it stores well! Once cooled, transfer the soup into an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat: Whether you’re using leftovers or frozen soup, reheating this Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is easy peasy. Simply heat it over low heat on your stovetop or microwave it at half power until heated through. Depending on how thick your soup was originally, you may need to add a splash of chicken broth or milk to thin it out.
This soup is perfect for meal prep since potatoes are hearty and can withstand being cooked through reheated with out becoming too mushy. Plus, its comforting flavors only get better with time!
Tips for Perfect Results
When making Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup, there are a few tips you should keep in mind to ensure the perfect results every time. Here are some pointers I’ve learned along the way that will help make your soup the best it can be:
1. Use Quality Ingredients: Make sure to use good quality ingredients for the soup. This will give the soup its deep flavors and create a comforting, nutritious meal for you and your family.
2. Don’t Overcook: Overcooking is the biggest mistake when making this soup. The potatoes and ham will become too soft and lose their textures if not cooked properly. Be sure to keep an eye on the timer and pressure during cooking so that you don’t overcook your soup.
3. Sautee the Vegetables: Sauteeing the onions, carrots, and celery before adding them to the Instant Pot will add extra depth of flavor to your soup. This step is worth taking the extra few minutes before pressure cooking.
4. Lock Lid Properly: Properly locking the lid of your Instant Pot is key to pressure cooking success – allowing steam to escape before sealing can compromise how much time needed to cook and lead to undercooked food.
5. Adjust Seasoning: Seasonings should be adjusted to your preference. You can always add more of what you like after tasting, but it’s more difficult to take away as once over-seasoned the dish can become unpalatable.
6. Thicken Soup Carefully: If you’re looking for a thicker soup consistency, you can thicken the Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup by adding additional flour or cornstarch slurry – making sure not add too much thickener too quickly as it may lead to clumps.
By following these tips for creating Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe, you’ll achieve delicious results every time!
So there you have it, your Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe. A soup recipe that is both hearty and comforting, perfect for a cold winter day or any day that calls for a bowl of deliciousness.
This soup is made with simple ingredients that can be easily found in any grocery store. The star ingredient, ham, gives this soup its smoky and savory flavor, while the sharp cheddar cheese adds a creamy texture to each slurp.
Making this recipe in an Instant Pot ensures that the potatoes are cooked perfectly without requiring much effort on your part. This means you can sit back and relax while savoring this delicious meal.
With variations and substitutions available, you can play around with the recipe to make it your own. And with tips and recommendations included, you’re sure to create the perfect bowl of soup every time.
So why not give this Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe a try? It’s guaranteed to become a family favorite, and once you taste it, one bowl won’t be enough!
Instant Pot Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 cups red potatoes, peeled and diced (I keep mine with the peel)
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cups cooked ham, rough chopped (leftover ham works great!)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine potatoes, celery, onion, ham, garlic and thyme and broth in Instant Pot.
- Shut and lock lid and set to pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, quick release steam.
- While the IP is doing its magic, in separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook stirring constantly until thick.
- Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form and all milk is added. Turn up to medium heat. Continue to stir until thick (4-5 minutes).
- Add in cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir the cheese mixture into the Instant Pot after you performed step 3. Set to saute on high and cook until heated through about 3 minutes. (I also will break up some of the potatoes for thickness. It gets thicker as it cools and next day).
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You