Are you in the mood for a delicious and creamy seafood chowder? Then look no further than this Instant Pot Scallop Chowder recipe! With tender and succulent bay scallops, hearty Yukon gold potatoes, and smoky bacon all swimming in a savory broth made with chicken broth, clam juice, and dry white wine, this recipe is sure to be a hit.
What’s more, this recipe is quick and easy to prepare thanks to the magic of the Instant Pot pressure cooker. In just thirty minutes, you can have a piping hot bowl of chowder ready to serve that will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. So pull up a chair and get ready to dive into the ultimate comfort food with this amazing scallop chowder recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for an easy and delicious seafood chowder recipe that’s perfect for any occasion? Look no further than this Instant Pot Scallop Chowder recipe! This creamy seafood soup is loaded with tender bay scallops, smoky bacon, and hearty potatoes, making it the perfect meal for any seafood lover.
One of the best things about this recipe is how quick and easy it is to make. Thanks to the pressure cooker function of the Instant Pot, this chowder comes together in just 30 minutes, leaving you with plenty of time to relax and enjoy your meal. Plus, it’s made with simple, everyday ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen.
Not only is this scallop chowder easy to make, but it is also incredibly delicious. The tender bay scallops are lightly poached in a flavorful broth made with chicken broth, clam juice, and dry white wine. The addition of smoky bacon adds a nice depth of flavor to the dish, while potatoes provide a hearty base for the chowder.
Finally, what makes this Instant Pot Scallop Chowder truly special is its versatility. You can easily substitute other types of seafood for the bay scallops such as sea scallops or shrimp to create different variations of the recipe. You can also adjust the level of creaminess by adding more or less heavy cream depending on your preference.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a creamy and delicious seafood chowder recipe that’s both quick and easy to make, look no further than this Instant Pot Scallop Chowder recipe. Whether you’re cooking for two or feeding a crowd, this chowder recipe will quickly become a staple in your kitchen repertoire.
– 1 lb bay scallops
– 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
– 2 celery ribs, chopped
– 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
– 1 medium onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 4 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
– Fresh parsley and chives (optional)
– 4 cups heavy cream
– 2 cups chicken broth
– 2 slices of bacon, chopped
– 1/2 cup dry white wine
– 8 oz bottled clam juice
– 1 bay leaf
– Salt and pepper to taste
Note: If you want to make a seafood chowder instead of a scallop chowder or a clam chowder recipe instead, feel free to use shrimp, sea scallops or fish instead. You could use heavy cream for a creamy seafood soup or a seafood stew as well.
The Recipe How-To
Now let’s get into the fun part – the recipe itself. Follow these steps to make your Instant Pot Scallop Chowder:
- 2 slices of bacon chopped
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of minced fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lbs of peeled and cubed Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- ½ cup of clam juice
- 1 ½ pounds of fresh or frozen bay scallops
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cup of heavy cream
Turn on the Instant Pot and select “Sauté”. Add the chopped bacon and cook for around five minutes until crispy.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set it aside. Leave the bacon fat in the Instant Pot.
- Add one tablespoon of butter to the pot followed by the finely chopped onion, celery, minced garlic, minced thyme leaves, and bay leaves.
- Cook for around three minutes until the onion and celery are translucent.
- Next, add the peeled and cubed Yukon Gold potatoes, dry white wine, chicken broth, and clam juice to the pot.
- Give everything a good stir before closing the pressure cooker lid.
- Turn off “Sauté” mode, select “Pressure Cook”, set to high pressure, and cook for six minutes.
- Once done cooking, do a quick release before removing the bay leaves from the soup.
- Use an immersion blender to blend only half of the soup until it reaches a creamy texture.
- Add the fresh or frozen bay scallops to the pot.
- Turn on “Sauté” mode again and cook for 2-3 minutes until the scallops are cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, add one cup of heavy cream and stir everything thoroughly before serving.
Enjoy your delicious Instant Pot Scallop Chowder!
Substitutions and Variations
One of the best things about chowder is how versatile it can be. You can easily swap out ingredients or add different flavors to make it your own. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try in this instant pot scallop chowder recipe:
– Seafood: If you’re not a fan of scallops, you can use bay or sea scallops in this recipe, or switch them out completely for shrimp, clams or other seafood of your choice.
– Potatoes: Yukon gold potatoes add a perfect creaminess to this chowder, but you can also use other types of potatoes like red, russet or sweet potatoes.
– Bacon: If you prefer turkey bacon or vegan bacon, feel free to use them instead.
– Heavy cream: Want to make this chowder lighter? Use half and half or whole milk instead of heavy cream.
– Broth: This recipe calls for chicken broth, but you can also use vegetable broth for a vegetarian version.
– Vegetables: Add more depth and flavor to the chowder by sautéing carrots or leeks with the onions and celery. And if you want an extra kick, add some diced jalapeños.
– Wine: Dry white wine adds acidity and depth to the chowder, but if you don’t have any on hand, leave it out or substitute it with chicken broth.
With these substitutions and variations, you can make this instant pot scallop chowder recipe into your own unique creation. Experimenting is half the fun when it comes to making chowders, so feel free to get creative!
Serving and Pairing
Nothing completes a scallop chowder quite like the perfect pairing. When it comes to seafood chowder, I recommend serving it with a light and refreshing salad. This helps to balance out the richness of the chowder and cleanse the palate between bites.
For a simple salad, toss together mixed greens, sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and sliced radishes with a light vinaigrette dressing. The crispness of the vegetables contrasts beautifully with the creamy soup, making for a delightful dining experience.
As for beverage pairings, a chilled glass of dry white wine is always an excellent choice when paired with seafood dishes. If you prefer something non-alcoholic, unsweetened iced tea or sparkling water would work well too.
For a complete meal, I suggest pairing scallop chowder with warm crusty bread or homemade garlic breadsticks. These will add additional texture to the meal and soak up any leftover soup in the bowl. It’s also great for sopping up that last bit of soup on your plate.
Serve this chowder at your next dinner party, and your guests will be impressed by the vibrant taste from each sip to every bite.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about this Instant Pot Scallop Chowder recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and stored for later. To make ahead, simply prepare the chowder as instructed and allow it to cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container. It can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer for up to two months.
To reheat, make sure the chowder has been thawed if previously frozen. Either place back into the Instant Pot and cook on low heat until heated through or pour into a saucepan and heat gently on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Be sure not to overheat as this can cause the scallops to become tough and rubbery.
When reheating any seafood-based recipe, it’s important to avoid overcooking as this can negatively impact the texture and flavor of the dish. So take your time and reheat slowly on low heat until just heated through, and enjoy your delicious creamy seafood soup once again!
Tips for Perfect Results
For the best results with this Instant Pot Scallop Chowder recipe, there are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind.
First and foremost, it’s important to source the freshest ingredients possible. Look for high-quality seafood and vegetables at your local market, and make sure everything is as fresh as possible before cooking.
Another key tip is to use heavy cream in this recipe for a rich, velvety texture. While you can use milk or a lighter cream if you prefer, the heavy cream really helps to bring out the flavors in the chowder and make it feel truly indulgent.
When cooking in your Instant Pot, be sure to follow the recipe instructions carefully and don’t overcook the seafood. Bay scallops cook quickly and can become tough if cooked for too long, so be mindful of your cook time.
For an extra boost of flavor, try adding a sprinkle of fresh herbs like parsley or chives to the chowder just before serving. These herbs help to brighten up the flavors and add a touch of freshness that really elevates the dish.
Finally, if you’re making this chowder ahead of time or reheating leftovers, be careful not to overheat as this can cause the chowder to split or become grainy in texture. Gently heat it up over low heat on the stove or in your microwave until just warmed through.
With these tips in mind, you’re sure to create a delicious pot of Instant Pot Scallop Chowder that will leave everyone wanting more.
Before we wrap it up, let’s tackle some frequently asked questions about this Instant Pot Scallop Chowder recipe. From ingredient swaps to ways to avoid a soggy dish, taking a peek at the FAQs can help solve any stumbling blocks you may encounter while preparing this savory seafood chowder. So, let’s dive in!
How do you make Jamie Oliver seafood chowder?
For this Vietnamese and Asian cuisine dish, we will need some quality olive oil, two pieces of higher-welfare bacon, a small white onion that’s been finely chopped, two stalks of celery, and a fresh red chili that has been deseeded and finely chopped. We will also need four ears of sweetcorn, two medium-sized potatoes that have been peeled and chopped, and 900 ml of hot organic vegetable or fish stock.
What is the best way to thicken seafood chowder?
To achieve the ultimate creaminess in your chowder, opting for heavy cream is the way to go. If heavy cream isn’t readily available or desired, a lighter cream can work as a substitute. However, it’s crucial to mix in 1 Tbsp of cornstarch with the lighter cream beforehand to prevent the soup from being too thin.
What is the difference between clam chowder and seafood chowder?
Chowder is a luscious soup that usually incorporates clams and potatoes, popular in the North Eastern region of the United States. New England clam chowder is the most well-known seafood chowder variation. However, some seafood chowders replace clams with scallops, shrimp, lobster, crab or fish such as cod or smoky salmon.
How to eat scallops?
One of my go-to dishes is seared scallops in butter, which can be presented in a simple yet classic manner. Pair the seared scallops with either a pasta dish drizzled with olive oil, zested with lemon and dusted with Parmesan cheese, or with a side of pureed cauliflower or root vegetables. The creamy texture and rich flavor of the side dish serves as a perfect complement to the chewy, buttery scallop.
In conclusion, the Instant Pot Scallop Chowder Recipe is not only a delicious and satisfying seafood soup, but also an easy and quick one-dish meal that you can prepare any day of the week. Whether you want it for lunch or dinner, it will provide you with a healthy dose of protein and vegetables with a satisfying creamy base that will leave you feeling full and happy.
With its versatile ingredient list, this recipe can also be customized to suit your taste preferences or dietary restrictions. You can substitute different types of seafood, add more vegetables or spices, or adjust the creaminess according to your liking. Plus, by using an Instant Pot, you can cut down on the cooking time and still get all the flavors infused in the dish.
So why not give this Scallop Chowder Recipe a try? Whether you are a fan of seafood chowders or looking to try something new, this recipe is sure to please your taste buds and keep you warm on those chilly winter nights. So grab your Instant Pot and let’s make some creamy and delicious scallop chowder soup!
Instant Pot Scallop Chowder Recipe
- 2 lbs cut yukon gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs bay scallops
- 2 chopped celery ribs
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 3 slices bacon
- Fry bacon on saute'.
- Move to plate.
- melt butter in pot.
- Add celery and onion, cook until soft.
- Pour in clam juice, broth, wine.
- Add potatoes, thyme, bay leaves.
- Secure and lock lid. High pressure for 7 min.
- Hit cancel, quick release.
- Open lid. Stir and turn to sauce' setting.
- Crumble in bacon and add scallops, cream, chives, parsley.
- Cook for 2min while stirring constantly.
- pick out bay leaves and serve.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You