Welcome, dear readers, to my latest culinary endeavour! Today, I present to you a recipe that combines the succulence of grilled chicken wings with the zestful flavors of Vietnamese cuisine – the Grilled Vietnamese Style Chicken Wings. Allow me to take you on a culinary journey through Vietnam where marinades, herbs, and spices are used in every dish to create deep and complex flavors.
I must admit that I am a huge fan of chicken wings, from fried chicken to grilled chicken, I have tried them all. However, the Grilled Vietnamese Style Chicken Wings recipe holds a special place in my heart. It’s packed with flavor and aroma that is simply irresistible. The combination of lemongrass, fresh ginger, soy sauce and fish sauce creates a marinade that infuses the meat with authentic Vietnamese flavors.
If you are an adventurous foodie who loves trying different cuisines, or just looking for something out of the ordinary to spice up your weeknight dinners, then this recipe is perfect for you. I promise that your taste buds will thank you for it!
So put on your apron, sharpen your knives and let’s get started on this adventure in Vietnamese cuisine. Follow my instructions closely and soon enough, you’ll be savoring some of the most succulent chicken wings you’ve ever tasted!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
My dearest readers,
It is my pleasure to introduce you to a delightful dish that will leave your taste buds singing with satisfaction. Behold, the Grilled Vietnamese Style Chicken Wings Recipe!
Allow me to present you with several reasons why you will cherish this recipe, and it will become your go-to mixture for any occasion.
Firstly, the ingredients in this recipe ensure a bold flavor. We’re talking about fresh cilantro, lemongrass, shallots, ginger, garlic, and scallions blended together, elevating these chicken wings to a unique level of deliciousness. You’ll be transported to a mystical world where Vietnamese cuisine reigns supreme.
Secondly, the marinade used in this recipe is an excellent blend of sweet and savory notes that bursts out every time you take a bite. A combination of fish sauce, fresh lime juice, light brown sugar, and soy sauce brings a delicate balance to the dish that only Vietnamese cooks know how to perfect.
Thirdly, the grilled chicken wings are crunchy outside yet moist inside texture. You can sense the smoky flavor infused while grilling that makes it ten times more scrumptious than just boiled or fried chicken.
Lastly, we’re all health-conscious! And rest assured; these wings are not excessively oily or greasy. They’re baked evenly until they are slightly crispy but still juicy and tender.
Believe me when I say that the Grilled Vietnamese Style Chicken Wings Recipe is one of those dishes where every bite counts. Every ingredient accounts for its rich aroma and fascinating flavor profile can elevate your cooking game with basic kitchen supplies.
So hurry up and gather up the ingredients to impress your guests at your next gathering or indulge in a quick snack while binge-watching your favorite show!
- Chicken Wings: The star of this recipe, chicken wings are succulent pieces that are perfect for grilling, frying or baking.
- Lemongrass: Two stalks of lemongrass provide woody citrus notes that enhance the flavor of the chicken.
- Garlic: Four cloves of minced garlic add mild heat and depth to the marinade.
- Shallot: One minced medium-sized shallot serves as a milder alternative to onion that still adds a pungent flavor and aroma.
- Ginger: A three-inch piece of grated ginger gives the marinade a warm and spicy taste with a subtle sweetness.
- Fish Sauce: Two tablespoons of quality fish sauce enhance the umami flavors in this Vietnamese-style dish.
- Fresh Lime Juice: Juice from two limes add tangy, citrus goodness to these awesome wings.
- Brown Sugar: For sweetness, light brown sugar is added to balance out the savory flavors.
- Peanut Oil: Two teaspoons of high-quality, nutty-tasting peanut oil are needed to grill.
- Fresh Cilantro and Scallions: Optional garnish, but highly recommended to add earthy flavors and vibrant green color.
The Recipe How-To
Let me walk you through how to create this Vietnamese-style Grilled Chicken Wings recipe. I guarantee it will be a hit with your friends and family, and maybe even convert any non-wing eaters into wing enthusiasts.
1. Begin by gathering all the necessary ingredients listed above.
2. Rinse and pat dry the chicken wings before placing them in a bowl or shallow dish.
1. In a food processor, combine 4 cloves minced garlic, 1 chopped shallot, 2 stalks lemongrass (finely chopped), 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons fish sauce, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, juice of 2 fresh limes, 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, and 1/4 cup peanut oil.
2. Pulse until mixture becomes smooth.
3. Pour half of the marinade into the bowl or dish with chicken wings.
4. Mix well until wings are evenly coated.
5. Cover the bowl or dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
1. Preheat grill to medium heat.
2. Remove chicken from the bowl or dish, shake off excess marinade and place on a plate.
3. Discard any remaining marinade that was in contact with raw chicken.
4. Place wings on the grill grates.
5. Cook over direct heat for about 6-7 minutes per side until fully cooked.
6. Once they start turning golden brown and skin is crispy, move them to indirect heat if there are flare-ups.
7. When done cooking, remove from grill and let rest for a few minutes before serving.
8. Garnish with chopped scallions and additional cilantro leaves.
You can also bake or air fry this recipe if grilling isn’t an option – baking will take about 25-30 minutes at 425°F while air frying will take 25 minutes at 375°F.
Enjoy your delicious and flavorful Vietnamese-style Grilled Chicken Wings!
Substitutions and Variations
Dear reader, if you are looking to experiment with this grilled Vietnamese style chicken wings recipe and tweak it to your liking, there are some substitutions and variations that you can try.
First of all, if you are not a fan of chicken wings, you can substitute it with chicken thighs or chicken breast. The cooking time may vary depending on the cut, so keep an eye on it while grilling or baking. If you are opting for the latter, it may take longer to cook through than when grilling.
For those who prefer to avoid fish sauce, you can replace it with soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce. However, keep in mind that this substitution will change the flavor profile of the dish as fish sauce has its unique taste.
If you don’t have lemongrass at hand, you can substitute it with lemon zest or lemon juice. Lemongrass adds a fresh citrusy aroma to the dish and gives it an authentic Vietnamese taste, but in a pinch, a lemon will do well.
For those who want to add a kick to their grilled chicken wings, try experimenting with different spices like five spice or buffalo wing sauce. If using buffalo wing sauce, add some smoked paprika powder for additional flavor.
Finally, if you want to air fry your wings instead of grilling or baking them, follow the recipe ingredients as is and cook in your air fryer for 20 minutes on 375 F degrees.
Remember that substitutions and variations can bring exciting new flavors to old recipes. So get creative and try out different methods until you find what works for you. Happy cooking!
Serving and Pairing
Now that the savory grilled Vietnamese style chicken wings are ready, it is time to serve them up in style. The deliciously grilled and succulent chicken wings are perfect as an appetizing starter or as a main dish for lunch or dinner.
Here’s a pair guide for these crispy grilled chicken wings: Serve the grilled Vietnamese style chicken wings on a platter garnished with chopped fresh cilantro and thinly sliced scallions. This adds a burst of freshness to the dish, enhancing its flavor and appearance
The grilled Vietnamese style chicken wings also pair well with rice dishes, such as jasmine or sticky rice. The mild, sweet flavor of the rice balances out the spiciness of the chicken wings.
For drinks, you can pair these deliciously grilled wings with a refreshing Vietnamese iced coffee or iced tea. The richness and boldness of the coffee or tea complements the smoky and savory flavor of the chicken wings.
If you’re serving these grilled Vietnamese style chicken wings for a party, you can add some Asian-inspired dips such as nuoc cham (Vietnamese dipping sauce) or peanut sauce. These dips add even more fantastic flavor to the already-flavorful chicken wings.
Overall, these grilled Vietnamese style chicken wings are versatile and can be served at any mealtime or occasion. Pair them with your favorite sides, drinks, and dips to create a feast your family or your guests will talk about for days!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
My dear readers, while this Grilled Vietnamese Style Chicken Wings Recipe is best served fresh off the grill, there may be instances when you would like to prepare it ahead of time, or store and reheat leftovers. Fret not, as I have taken the liberty to provide some tips and techniques to ensure that you can still enjoy the flavor-packed goodness of these chicken wings even after they’ve been stored.
For those who want to prepare these chicken wings ahead of time, start by marinating them according to the recipe instructions. Place the marinated chicken wings in an airtight container or zip-lock bag and refrigerate them for up to 24 hours. You may also choose to freeze them for up to three months. When ready to cook, simply thaw them in the refrigerator or at room temperature before grilling.
In terms of storing leftover chicken wings, place any remaining pieces in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to four days. If you need to store the chicken wings for more than four days, it’s best to freeze them instead.
To reheat grilled chicken wings, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Remove the chicken wings from the refrigerator and allow them to come up to room temperature for about 10 minutes. Place them on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through, flipping once halfway through cooking.
Another option is to use an air fryer if you have one at home. Simply place the leftover chicken wings into the basket and cook at 375°F (190°C) for about five minutes or until crispy and hot.
I hope these tips helped you with storing, reheating, and making these chicken wings ahead of time! Remember that while freshly grilled chicken wings are always best, using these techniques will help make sure that you can still savor their amazing flavor even after they’ve been stored.
Tips for Perfect Results
As a chef specializing in Vietnamese and Asian cuisine, I have learned some tips and tricks along the way to ensure perfect results every time you cook. Here are some tips that will help you make the best grilled Vietnamese-style chicken wings:
1. Marinate your chicken wings overnight: The marinade is a crucial step in this recipe, as it ensures that the chicken wings are packed with flavor. Marinating them overnight allows the wings to soak up all of the delicious flavors and tenderizes the meat for that perfect texture.
2. Preheat your grill or oven for at least 10-15 minutes: Preheating your grill or oven ensures that it’s hot enough to cook the chicken wings properly. This step is essential to achieving that delicious charred and crispy skin on your wings.
3. Cook your chicken wings over low heat: Cooking the chicken wings over low heat helps to prevent burning and ensures that they cook evenly. This way, you’ll end up with perfectly cooked juicy chicken with a crispy skin.
4. Baste your chicken wings with the marinade while cooking: Basting the chicken wings with the residual marinade infuses it with even more flavor and keeps them from drying out while cooking.
5. Turn your chicken wings occasionally while cooking: Turning your chicken wings helps to avoid burning and ensures that they cook evenly all around. Do it gently, so as not to mess up the crispy skin on top.
6. Let your grilled chicken rest before serving: Always allow your grilled chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving it, as this allows time for the juices to distribute evenly throughout the meat, resulting in moist and flavorful chicken.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to achieve perfectly grilled Vietnamese-style chicken wings every time. These tips apply not only to this particular recipe but also to grilling any type of meat. Practice makes perfect, so keep grilling until you get it just right!
As you prepare this delightful Vietnamese style chicken wings recipe, it is possible that a few questions may arise. In this section, I will provide answers to some frequently asked questions that will help you make the most of this recipe. From options for substitutions to tips on storing and reheating, these FAQ will have you confidently preparing and enjoying your grilled Vietnamese style chicken wings.
Should I boil wings before grilling?
One way to reduce the fat and calories in chicken wings is by pre-boiling or boiling them before grilling or baking. This results in a shorter cooking time if you choose to proceed with grilling or baking after boiling.
How do you prepare chicken wings before grilling?
If you want to make sure your chicken wings come out juicy and tender, it’s best to give them a good brine before cooking. This will keep them from getting too dry and tough during the cooking process. Just be sure to dry them thoroughly after brining, so they’re ready to be seasoned and cooked to perfection.
How do you keep grilled wings moist?
The key to retaining the moisture of grilled chicken wings lies in cooking them with a delicate heat. First, position the marinated chicken wings on the indirect heat area, keeping them near the flames but not directly above them. Next, tightly shut the lid to enable the warm air to flow evenly.
What is Saigon wings?
For any casual gathering or sports event, these chicken wings with their crispy texture, savory flavor, and hint of sweetness are a perfect party food. Vietnamese influence is reflected in the garlicky and umami taste of the fried chicken wings.
In conclusion, this Grilled Vietnamese Style Chicken Wings recipe is a must-try for anyone who appreciates bold and delicious Asian flavors. With the perfect blend of lemongrass, shallot, garlic, and fresh lime juice mixed into a savory fish sauce marinade, these wings are sure to become a favorite dish in your household.
The beauty of this recipe is its versatility – whether you choose to grill or bake your wings, your taste buds are in for a treat. You could even use an air fryer to cook up these wings for a healthier option. And if you’re feeling adventurous, try out some substitutions and variations with different meat cuts or spices – the possibilities are endless!
So gather your fresh cilantro and scallions, and get ready to impress yourself and your dinner guests with this unforgettable Vietnamese Style Chicken Wings recipe. Trust me when I say it’s definitely a recipe worth adding to your culinary repertoire. Make sure to follow all my tips for perfect results, serving and pairing options, storing and reheating instructions, and frequently asked questions to help you along the way. Happy cooking!
Grilled Vietnamese Style Chicken Wings Recipe
- 3 lbs chicken wings, split at the joint, tips removed
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions, whites
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped lemongrass
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- .Rinse the wings under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside in a large bowl while you prepare the marinade. Combine the garlic, shallots, ginger, scallions, lemongrass, brown sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and peanut oil in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour the marinade over the wings and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat a grill to medium. Remove the wings from the marinade; reserve the marinade to brush the wings while they cook. Place the wings on the grill and cook, turning every few minutes and basting with the marinade for the first 18 or so minutes. Continue to grill the wings until cooked through, 8 to 10 more minutes.
- Place the wings on a serving platter and garnish with the peanuts and cilantro.