Quick, flavorful, and versatile – that’s the best way to describe this Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken recipe. As a chef specializing in Vietnamese and Asian cuisine, I’m always on the lookout for recipes that are fast and easy yet packed with bold flavors. And cilantro lime chicken is definitely one of them!
If you’re not familiar with the Instant Pot, let me tell you a little bit about it. It’s a pressure cooker that also functions as a slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, and yogurt maker. With an Instant Pot, you can cook meals in a fraction of the time it would take using conventional cooking methods. Plus, it’s perfect for busy home cooks who want to make healthy and delicious meals in just one pot.
In this article, I’ll be sharing my favorite Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken recipe with you. The dish features boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked in a flavorful marinade made from fresh cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, and taco seasoning. The tender chicken is then serve over rice with black beans or on top of salad drizzled with salsa for a healthier option.
But wait – that’s not all! This recipe is also incredibly adaptable to suit your preferences or dietary restrictions. You can make substitutions or adjustments to the ingredients without sacrificing flavor. Whether you’re feeding a crowd or meal prepping for the week ahead; this simple and satisfying recipe will surely become a staple in your kitchen.
So grab your Instant Pot and let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Attention food lovers! If you are looking for a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for any meal, look no further than this Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe. This mouth-watering dish is sure to become your go-to recipe, whether you’re cooking for a family gathering, dinner party, or a casual weeknight at home.
The reason why this recipe has gained immense popularity among foodies is its flavorful seasoning and its power-packed ingredients. Imagine tender and juicy boneless skinless chicken breasts perfectly cooked in an instant pot packed with the zesty flavors of fresh cilantro and lime juice. Accompanied by black beans and salsa? It’s hard to resist!
Not only is this recipe easy to prepare but it’s also very convenient – everything cooks in one pot! There is no need to dirty up several pots and pans during the preparation process. With the Instant Pot, all you have to do is dump ‘n’ go with just a few simple ingredients like chicken broth, taco seasoning, chili powder and black beans. With maximum effort going into minimal ingredients, you’ve got yourself a well-rounded dish that can feed a crowd without any hassle.
Trust us, this Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe is truly irresistible – it’s flavorful, nutritious, easy-to-make and can be enjoyed in multiple ways every time you make it. Serve with rice or as a filling for tacos or even as a protein in a salad bowl- there are endless opportunities to recreate this deliciousness. So what are you waiting for? Get your inner chef hat on and dive straight into one of the most sought after recipes online!
Here is what you will need to make this Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken recipe:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
– Cooked rice (optional)
– Black beans (optional)
– Salsa (optional)
All of these ingredients are easy to find and should be available at any grocery store. If you don’t have fresh cilantro, substitute it with dried cilantro. And if you prefer spicier dishes, feel free to add more chili powder or cayenne pepper to your liking.
The Recipe How-To
Preparing the chicken
- To get started, gather 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and trim off any excess fat.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and season with 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning.
- Pour 1 cup of chicken broth into the Instant Pot and add the seasoned chicken.
Adding in the flavors
- Next, add in some fresh cilantro, chopped, 1/2 cup of salsa, and 15 oz. of black beans (drained and rinsed).
- Squeeze in the juice of 1 lime and add the zest to intensify the flavor.
- Quickly stir all ingredients together to allow for even distribution.
Cooking with Instant Pot pressure
- Securely fasten the lid on your Instant Pot and set it to cook for 15 minutes on high pressure.
- Use the quick release valve when cooking time is complete.
- Remove lid once released from steam and take out chicken pieces.
Reducing Sauce Liquid
- Switch your instant pot setting to sauté mode; this will up the heat level in order to evaporate and reduce any remaining liquid.
- Allow it to reducing for about 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened up a bit.
- Take two forks to shred your chicken into smaller pieces.
And voilà! Your delicious Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe is ready to be enjoyed with some extra cilantro on top, or served over a bed of rice for a complete meal.
Substitutions and Variations
Looking to mix up your Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken flavor or add a little twist? Try one of the following substitutions or variations:
– Chicken thighs: Instead of chicken breasts, you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. The cooking time will remain the same.
– Taco seasoning: Swap out the chili powder and cumin for a packet of taco seasoning for added flavor.
– Black bean substitution: If you’re not a fan of black beans, you can use kidney beans or pinto beans instead.
– Salsa variation: Switch out the tomato salsa with pineapple salsa for a sweet and zesty twist. Or add in some diced jalapenos for more spice.
– Coconut milk addition: For a creamy variation, use coconut milk instead of water. This will give your chicken a slightly Thai-inspired flavor.
– Shredded chicken option: Instead of cooking whole chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, use shredded chicken meat. Simply cook the shredded chicken with all other ingredients on high pressure for 5 minutes.
Whichever change you decide to make, don’t be afraid to experiment and find your own perfect spin on this versatile dish.
Serving and Pairing
This Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe is a versatile dish that can be served in multiple ways. You can enjoy it over a bed of fluffy rice or quinoa, mix it into a salad or wrap it into a taco. The choice is yours!
For those who prefer the traditional route, I recommend serving this Cilantro Lime Chicken with a side of black beans, salsa and some lime wedges for an extra zesty kick. You can also add some tortilla chips on the side for a satisfying crunch.
This dish pairs particularly well with grains such as rice, quinoa or even couscous to create a wholesome and balanced meal. If you’re looking to take things up a notch, you could try making cilantro lime rice to go with your flavorful chicken. An easy way to do this is by adding 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rinsed and drained white rice to your Instant Pot before following the Cilantro Lime Chicken instructions as normal. This will result in perfectly cooked rice infused with the same delicate flavors as your chicken.
If you are entertaining guests, this recipe also works great as an appetizer. Try shredding the chicken and topping individual tortilla chips with chicken and a dollop of sour cream or guacamole.
Overall, this Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser no matter how you choose to serve it. Enjoy!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken recipe is perfect for meal prep or cooking in advance. The dish can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat the chicken, you can either microwave it on high for 1-2 minutes or bake it uncovered in the oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes.
For longer-term storage, you can freeze the chicken in an airtight container or a freezer-safe Ziploc bag for up to three months. Simply thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and reheat using any of the methods mentioned above.
One great aspect of this recipe is its versatility. If you have leftovers, there are many ways to repurpose them. For instance, the shredded chicken can be added to salads, tacos, quesadillas, burritos or even wraps. To give your leftovers a new twist, try adding some fresh cilantro, slices of avocado or a dollop of salsa.
If you feel like one-pot meals aren’t for you and need to balance out the tangy flavors, consider serving this dish with some vegetable sides or steamed rice. This will complement the savory-seasoned chicken and create a balanced meal full of nutrients.
Overall, this dish is perfect for anyone who’s always on-the-go as it’s easy-to-make and stores well. Just imagine coming home tired from work on a weekday and having a delicious meal ready in no time!
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure the tastiest and most tender Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken every time, here are my top tips and recommendations:
First of all, make sure to use fresh cilantro and limes for optimum flavor. This recipe heavily relies on these two ingredients, so it’s important to use them at their freshest. I like to buy them locally, preferably from farmers’ markets or specialty grocery stores.
When choosing boneless skinless chicken breasts, look for ones that are evenly sized for even cooking. If they are too thick or unevenly sized, it can lead to undercooked or overcooked portions.
It’s important to release the pressure manually once the cooking is complete to prevent overcooking the chicken. This can easily be done by turning the valve on the Instant Pot from “sealing” to “venting.” Be careful when you do this as hot steam will be released.
For a creamier version of this recipe, swap out some of the water with coconut milk. This adds a delicious richness that complements the tanginess of the lime and cilantro.
To serve with rice, I recommend using basmati or jasmine rice for best results. Follow the cooking instructions on your rice package but add 2 tablespoons of lime juice and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the water for extra flavor.
Finally, if you want a spicier version of this dish, you can add extra chili powder or even diced jalapenos. Don’t be afraid to experiment and customize the recipe to your liking!
By following these tips and recommendations, you’ll achieve perfect results every time with this Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken recipe.
In conclusion, the Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe is a perfect recipe to try if you want to have a delicious and healthy meal on the go. It’s a perfect blend of flavors with fresh cilantro, lime juice, and boneless skinless chicken breasts that make it a healthy option for your dinner. With this recipe, you don’t have to worry about spending too much time or effort in the kitchen, as it only takes 10 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to cook under high pressure in your Instant Pot.
Moreover, this recipe offers countless variations that you can try with different proteins like chicken thighs or drumsticks. You can also serve it with rice, black beans, or make it a filling for your tacos or salads. I highly recommend trying it out and experimenting with various substitutions to make it your own.
In summary, the Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe is budget-friendly, easy-to-make, healthy and most importantly delicious! With its simple dump-and-go method and customizable ingredients, this recipe will become one of your go-to meals for busy weeknights. So go ahead and give it a try! You won’t regret it.
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe
- 24 ounces salsa
- 1 ounce taco seasoning mix
- 1 lime, juice of, and zested
- 1/4 cup water or 1/4 cup stock
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (I left the skins on, and mine weren't boneless)
- fresh cilantro, to taste
- Using at least a 6 quart instant pot, add all ingredients to the chicken into the pot except cilantro.
- Close lid and seal the pressure valve, then set on manual/high for 15 minutes.
- When time is up, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. Then manually release the rest of the pressure by flipping the valve. Remove lid.
- Shred the chicken breast (either remove and shred or shred in pot using 2 forks). Then add the cilantro into the pot and stir everything together to coat.
- Serve with rice or flour/corn tortillas, quinoa, limes, and colby jack cheese.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You