Welcome to my Instant Pot Curry Rice Recipe! As a chef specializing in Vietnamese and Asian cuisine, I’m thrilled to share with you this irresistible dish that is going to take your taste buds on a flavorful journey.
This recipe is all about the perfect harmony of fragrant basmati rice infused with aromatic curry powder and tender chunks of succulent chicken or beef. The best part? It’s cooked in no time using the revolutionary Instant Pot, which turns even tough cuts of meat into deliciously tender dishes.
Whether you’re new to cooking or have been enjoying curries for years, this recipe is straightforward and easy to follow, so you can create a comfort classic in a snap. It’s the ideal way to impress your family and friends or enjoy a cozy dinner for one on those lazy nights.
But before we dive into the recipe, let me tell you why you’re going to love it.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Listen up, foodies! If you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe that’ll give your taste buds a punch of flavor, I’ve got the perfect one for you. It’s an Instant Pot Curry Rice Recipe that’ll make your mouth water just thinking about it.
First off, who doesn’t love a good curry? The combination of spices and herbs is the perfect way to add some excitement to your meals. And let me tell you, this curry rice dish does not disappoint. The flavors are bold and layered, making each bite an adventure in your mouth.
But what sets this recipe apart is the use of the Instant Pot pressure cooker. It takes only 30 minutes – from start to finish – to have dinner on the table. No more waiting for hours for your stewing beef to soften or your potatoes to cook through. With this recipe, everything cooks perfectly thanks to the Instant Pot’s magical powers.
And if you’re worried about not having enough time to prep all the ingredients, fear not! The ingredient list is simple and easy to find at your local grocery store. Yukon gold potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic cloves – all diced up and waiting to be sautéed in the pot with some olive oil. Add in some chicken curry powder and coconut milk and you’ve got yourself a fragrant base that’ll leave everyone in your household drooling.
Finally, the star of this recipe: basmati rice. A personal favorite of mine because of its nuanced flavor and fluffy texture. After adding it into the pot with some beef broth and letting it cook for just three minutes under high pressure, you’ll be left with the creamiest and most delicious rice you’ve ever tasted.
So why will you love this recipe? Because it’s quick, easy, flavorful, and satisfying. It’s perfect for any weeknight when you want something delicious but don’t have all night to make it. Plus, your family and friends will be asking you for the recipe after just one bite. Trust me, this Instant Pot Curry Rice Recipe is one you won’t want to miss out on.
Here are the ingredients you will need for this Instant Pot Curry Rice recipe:
- 1 ½ lbs. of stewing beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups of Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into small chunks
- 2 cups of carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 2 tablespoons of ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup of Basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of beef broth
For the curry coconut rice:
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 cups of Basmati rice
- Salt to taste
Feel free to adjust the ingredients based on your preferences or if you want to make any substitutions.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gathered all the ingredients, let’s start with the cooking process.
Step 1: Sautéing
- Set your instant pot to
Sauté Mode, heat up
olive oiluntil it starts to shimmer.
1 finely chopped onionand stir for about 2-3 minutes until it becomes translucent.
- Next, add the
2 cloves of minced garlicand stir well.
- Add in the remaining vegetables: 1 large diced carrots and 2 diced Yukon Gold potatoes. Cook for another 2 minutes.
Step 2: Adding rice ingredients
- Take off Sauté mode and make sure there are no burnt bits on the bottom of the pot.
1 cup basmati riceand stir it gently along with the other ingredients.
- Then add in
1 tablespoon curry powder, a pinch of both
saltand pepper“`, then mix everything well.
Step 3: Adding liquid ingredients
- Pour in
1 can coconut milk (13 oz)and
1 ½ cups chicken or beef broth. Mix everything together to ensure that all ingredients are evenly distributed, then turn off the Sauté mode.
Step 4: Pressure Cook
- Close the lid of your instant pot, seal it properly, and set it to cook on High pressure for
Step 5: Natural Pressure Release
Once you’re done with pressure cooking let your Instant Pot rest for natural pressure release (NPR). Let it sit for at least 5 minutes to avoid any sudden release of steam that might cause danger or extra mess in your kitchen.
Tip: This recipe is flexible, so if you want creamier rice, add more coconut milk – or if you want a thicker sauce, use less liquid.
Step 6: Enjoy!
- Once the instant pot is done, release the remaining pressure, open the lid and fluff up the rice with a fork. You can serve it as a side dish or as a one-pot meal.
– You can also make this recipe with chicken breast or beef. Just switch out the stewing beef for cubed chicken breast or beef.
– For creamy curry chicken and rice soup, add 2 cups of water or broth to the recipe.
– For Japanese Chicken curry lovers add a little bit less curry powder in the ingredients list above and add some grated Apple to sweeten the recipe.
Substitutions and Variations
Ah, my dear readers, you came to the right place if you’re looking for a bit of variety with your Instant Pot Curry Rice recipe. Yessiree, this recipe is as versatile as an octopus with its eight different arms reaching out to grab your taste buds in different ways. Now, hold on tight as we dive straight into some substitutions and variations.
First up, let’s talk about the protein. While the recipe calls for stewing beef, you can easily swap it out for chicken breast or thighs. Feeling a little adventurous? Why not try substituting it with wild rice for that extra nutty flavor?
Next up is the curry powder. Don’t have any curry powder lying around? No problemo, my culinary friends! You can use Japanese curry powder for a much sweeter taste or Thai red curry paste for an extra kick of heat. And if you’re feeling a little fancy, throw in some cauliflower and potato for a flavorful veggie curry.
Now let’s talk about the rice. While I highly recommend using basmati rice, you can also use jasmine rice or even sushi rice to give it that sticky texture.
But wait (yes, there’s more!), did you know that you can switch out the coconut milk with beef broth for a more savory taste? And if you’re looking for a creamier curry, just add a dollop of sour cream to make it more indulgent.
In conclusion, my fellow foodies, don’t be too rigid with this recipe. Use what you have in your pantry and experiment with different ingredients to create your own signature version of this Instant Pot Curry Rice recipe. The world is your oyster and your kitchen is your playground!
Serving and Pairing
Now the moment we’ve been waiting for – serving and pairing! This Instant Pot Curry Rice Recipe is truly a complete meal in itself. The tender bites of chicken or beef, combined with the soft and fluffy basmati rice, absorb every savory flavor of the creamy coconut curry.
This dish pairs perfectly with a fresh side salad of greens, topped with sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, lightly dressed in a vinaigrette dressing. The crunchiness of the vegetables provides a refreshing contrast to the rich and creamy curry dish.
If you want even more variety, you may also serve this dish alongside steamed cauliflower, broccoli florets or cooked edamame to add both texture and protein to your meal. Additionally, you can also garnish your bowls of curry rice with chopped cilantro and a drizzle of lime juice for an extra zesty kick.
As far as drinks go, it’s advisable to pair this curry rice with a cold beer or white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or a buttery Chardonnay. A glass of chilled coconut juice or sweetened iced tea would also make an excellent refreshment.
The versatility of this curry rice recipe makes it ideal for any occasion, whether it’s for family dinners, potlucks or meal prep for lunch at work. It’s filling, delicious and can cater to diverse dietary needs while being affordable and easy on your pocket.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the great things about this Instant Pot Curry Rice recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and reheated for later meals. Simply follow the instructions as outlined in the recipe, and then store your curry rice in an airtight container or covered pot.
When you’re ready to reheat the dish, place it in a microwave-safe dish and heat on high for 1-2 minutes at a time, stirring between each interval. Alternatively, you can reheat the curry rice in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
If you plan on making the curry rice ahead of time, keep in mind that it will thicken over time as the rice absorbs more liquid. To counteract this, simply add a little bit more beef broth or coconut milk when reheating to achieve the desired consistency.
This recipe also makes for delicious leftovers that can be enjoyed for several days. Store any extra curry rice in an airtight container or covered pot in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you’d like to keep it longer, it can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
To freeze leftover curry rice, let it cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container or bag. When you’re ready to enjoy it again, simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat using one of the methods outlined above.
With its make-ahead options, convenient storage options, and easy reheating directions, this Instant Pot Curry Rice recipe is perfect for busy weeknights or meal prep sessions.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you know the ins and outs of making a delicious instant pot curry rice, here are some tips to ensure your recipe is a success every time.
1. Use high-quality ingredients: The quality of your ingredients can make or break your instant pot curry rice. Use fresh vegetables, high-quality beef broth, and tender cuts of beef to enhance the flavor of the curry.
2. Rinse the rice: Before adding the rice to the Instant Pot, rinse it well with cold water to get rid of any excess starch. This will prevent the rice from sticking together and becoming mushy.
3. Saute your ingredients: Using the saute function on your Instant Pot will help develop deep flavors in your curry. Start by sautéing onion, garlic cloves, and ginger in oil until they are soft and translucent.
4. Don’t skimp on curry powder: Curry powder is what gives this dish its signature flavor, so be generous with it! If you prefer a milder curry, feel free to adjust the amount of curry powder according to your taste.
5. Let it natural release: Once finished cooking in pressure cook mode for 3 minutes, allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for at least 10 minutes before opening the lid. This will allow the rice to absorb any remaining liquid and achieve a perfect texture.
6. Season with salt and pepper: Make sure to season your curry rice with salt and pepper to taste. Add more as needed until you achieve your desired level of flavor.
7. Consider experimenting with variations: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of meats or vegetables in your instant pot curry rice. Try adding cauliflower or potatoes for extra texture, or swap out stewing beef for chicken breast or shrimp.
8. Serve hot and pair with a side dish: Instant pot curry rice is best served hot alongside a side dish such as naan bread or roasted vegetables. Garnish with fresh cilantro or basil for extra flavor and visual appeal.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to achieve perfect results every time you make instant pot curry rice. So go ahead, try this recipe out and don’t be afraid to get creative with it!
So there you have it, an outstanding Instant Pot Curry Rice Recipe that will surely become one of your family favorites. The delightful combination of ingredients from tender beef to carrots will make your mouth water as soon as you smell the curry aroma coming from the Instant Pot.
The Instant Pot Curry Rice Recipe is perfect for a cozy night in with your loved ones or to impress your guests at a grand dinner party. With a little effort and minimum time, you can indulge in a wonderful dish capable of pleasing anyone’s taste buds.
Remember, the substitution and variation section is great if you want to add your own cohesive addition to the recipe, and it helps you personalize it according to taste preferences like spicy or sweet. The tips for perfect results are equally essential and add a pro touch on how to ensure that the process runs smoothly.
So what are you waiting for? Why not put your culinary skills to the test, grab an instant pot, and try this phenomenal Instant Pot Curry Rice Recipe today!
Instant Pot Curry Rice Recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb stewing beef, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, cut in half and sliced into segments
- 1 1/2 carrots, chopped
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 240 g japanese curry roux
- Turn Instant Pot to saute mode. Add oil.
- Once oil is hot, add the beef and brown.
- Add beef broth and place curry roux blocks on top (make sure they are separated).
- Turn off saute mode; cover and lock the lid. Press the “meat/Stew” button to switch to the pressure cooking mode. Press “minus” button to change the cooking time to 12 minutes.
- Do a quick release, then add the garlic and vegetables. Cook on Manual for 4 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally (about 10 minutes).
- Serve with rice.