As a self-proclaimed foodie, there is nothing quite as satisfying as indulging in authentic Mexican cuisine. From zesty guacamole to savory enchiladas, I simply can’t resist the rich flavors of this beloved cuisine. That’s why I was determined to create a quick and easy recipe that would allow me to enjoy one of my favorite Mexican staples, Instant Pot Mexican Rice, from the comfort of my own kitchen.
Let me tell you, this recipe is unlike any other you have ever tasted. It’s the perfect addition to a Mexican dinner or a delightful meal all on its own. In just 20 minutes using an Instant Pot and some basic ingredients like rice, tomato sauce and chicken broth, you can turn out rice that’s perfectly cooked with just the right amount of tangy spices. Unlike other complicated rice dishes, this recipe is simple to make, even for novice cooks.
Whether you’re new to cooking or a seasoned pro, I guarantee you’ll fall in love with this recipe. So without further ado, let’s dive into what makes Instant Pot Mexican Rice so incredible and how you can make it in your own home in no time.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a fan of Mexican cuisine? Then you will surely love this Instant Pot Mexican Rice Recipe! Not only is it packed with authentic flavors, but it is also incredibly easy to make.
Imagine biting into fluffy long-grain white rice mixed with aromatic garlic, onion powder, and spicy pepper, all soaked in savory chicken broth and tomato sauce. This delicious blend is perfect on its own or as a side dish for your favorite Mexican dishes.
The best part about this recipe is the convenience of using an Instant Pot. Instead of slaving over a hot stove, you can effortlessly cook this rice in just 4 minutes! Plus, with the instant pot’s high pressure cooking and automatic shut-off feature, there’s no need to worry about burning or overcooking the rice.
This recipe is also versatile enough to accommodate various dietary requirements. It can be easily made vegan by substituting vegetable broth for chicken broth and omitting butter. You can add beans and avocado to create a delicious and satisfying vegetarian meal, or prepare it as a base for your fried rice bowl.
With so many possibilities, this recipe is one that you’ll undoubtedly need in your collection of go-to meals. So why wait? Give this recipe a try today and indulge in the most flavorful, easy-to-make Mexican rice recipe you’ll ever need!
Here are the Ingredients you will need to make this easy Instant Pot Mexican Rice recipe:
- 2 cups of long grain white rice (rinse rice until water runs clear)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 cloves minced garlic or garlic instant pot
- 8 oz tomato sauce or tomato sauce instant pot
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
- ¾ cups water
This recipe also works well using brown rice, Jasmine rice, or a combination of tomato sauce and tomato paste. Plus, there’s enough room to add in some Mexican-inspired extras like beans, corn, veggies, or proteins such as chicken, beef or shrimp for a satisfying meal that can be enjoyed on its own or as a base for a mexican chicken rice, fried rice bowl, authentic Mexican dishes and more!
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Rinse and Measure the Rice
Start by rinsing 1 1/2 cups of long-grain white rice in a fine mesh strainer under running water until the water runs clear. This will remove any extra starch on the surface of the rice, making it less sticky when cooked. Then, measure the rice into a bowl and set it aside.
Step 2: Sauté Garlic and Rice in Instant Pot
Press the “Sauté” button on your Instant Pot and heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add in 4 cloves of minced garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Next, add in the measured rice and stir to combine with the garlic and oil.
Step 3: Add Chicken Broth, Tomato Sauce, Water, and Seasonings
Pour in 1 3/4 cups of chicken broth, 8 oz of tomato sauce (about half a can), and 1 cup of water. Add 1 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, and kosher salt, plus a pinch of black pepper. Finally, give everything a good stir to combine.
Step 4: Pressure Cook the Mexican Rice
Securely attach the lid onto your Instant Pot and ensure that the steam release valve is set to “Sealing”. Press the “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” button (depending on your model) and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Once done, allow for a natural pressure release for an additional 10 minutes before performing a quick pressure release.
Step 5: Fluff Up the Rice and Serve
Carefully open your Instant Pot lid once all the steam has been released. Using a fork or spoon, fluff up the Mexican rice to separate any grains that may have stuck together. Add some chopped cilantro or scallions, if desired, and serve hot.
Now you know how to make an Instant Pot Mexican Rice recipe that’s packed with flavor and has a fluffy texture. It’s the perfect side dish for any Mexican dishes like tacos or burritos or can be added to a Fried Rice Bowl. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
I know that everyone has different preferences and dietary needs, so I have a few substitutions and variations that you can try out with this Instant Pot Mexican Rice recipe.
First, if you don’t have chicken broth on hand or want to make a vegetarian or vegan version of this recipe, you can use vegetable broth or water instead. Just be sure to adjust the seasoning accordingly.
For those who like a little bit of heat, you can add diced jalapenos or serrano peppers to the rice mix for an extra kick. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also try adding some chopped cilantro or diced red bell pepper as well for an added burst of flavor.
You can also switch things up by using brown rice instead of long-grain white rice for a healthier option. Just keep in mind that brown rice may require more water and a longer cooking time than white rice.
If you’re looking to turn this into a complete meal, try adding cooked chicken or shrimp to the rice after it’s done cooking. You can even turn it into a fried rice bowl by sautéing some veggies (like carrots, peas, and corn) and adding them to the mix.
If you love authentic Mexican dishes, adding tomato paste along with tomato sauce will give your Instant Pot Mexican Rice a unique flavor. You could even serve it with seasoned black beans and avocado slices for a traditional Mexican meal.
These are just a few ideas – feel free to get creative! The beauty of this recipe is that it’s versatile enough to make it your own. Whether it’s adding in your favorite veggies or protein source, customizing the spice level, or using different types of rice – this recipe is adaptable for any taste preference.
Serving and Pairing
Once your Instant Pot Mexican Rice Recipe is complete, it’s time to serve and enjoy! This dish is perfect as a side dish or a main course, depending on how you choose to serve it. It pairs perfectly with any variety of Mexican dishes like fajitas, enchiladas, or tacos. If you want to elevate this dish try serving it with some fresh guacamole or pico de gallo.
However, don’t feel limited to Mexican-inspired dishes only. This rice recipe can also be paired with protein dishes like grilled chicken, roasted pork chops or even seared fish like mahi-mahi for an absolutely delicious meal. You can also use the rice as a base for a fried rice bowl or throw in some veggies and beans for an easy vegan option.
For those looking to reduce their carb intake, replacing the long-grain white rice with brown rice is definitely an option. Brown rice adds nuttiness and richness that complements the spices and tomato-based sauce.
With so many pairing options, you’ll want to keep this recipe handy for all occasions. Don’t forget to garnish the dish with chopped cilantro or lime wedges before serving – they really brighten up the flavors!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Preparing your Instant Pot Mexican Rice recipe in advance can save you time and hassle. After all, reheating leftover rice is much faster and easier than cooking it from scratch.
To make this recipe ahead of time, follow the same steps as the main recipe. Once the cooking cycle is finished, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes before doing a quick pressure release.
After that, use a fork to fluff the rice and allow it to cool completely at room temperature. Then, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to serve, you can reheat it on the stove over medium heat with a little water or broth to keep it from drying out. Alternatively, reheat it in your Instant Pot using the sauté function for a few minutes until heated through.
Keep in mind that reheated rice may become slightly dry or clumpy. To prevent this, add about 1-2 tablespoons of water or broth per cup of rice when reheating.
Whether you’re meal prepping for busy weekdays or preparing for an event in advance, making this Mexican rice recipe ahead of time is a great option. It’s just as flavorful and delicious even after being stored in your fridge or freezer. So go ahead and make a bigger batch because you will definitely want leftovers of this tasty dish!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to cooking perfect Instant Pot Mexican Rice, there are a few tips you should follow to achieve delicious results. Here are some tried-and-true tips on how to ensure your Mexican rice turns out perfectly every time:
1. Rinse the Rice: Before cooking, don’t forget to rinse the rice until the water runs clear. This step helps remove excess starch from the surface of the rice, resulting in light and fluffy grains.
2. Use Chicken Broth: Instead of using plain water, try using chicken broth for extra flavor. It infuses the rice with a savory taste that plain water simply can’t match.
3. Add Extra Garlic: For those who love garlic, adding extra minced garlic on top of the recipe’s recommended amount can further enhance the taste of your Instant Pot Mexican Rice.
4. Let Rest Before Serving: After cooking, let the Instant Pot Mexican Rice rest for at least 10 minutes (or even up to 20) before serving. This gives the rice time to absorb all of the flavor and results in more cohesive grains.
5. Be Careful When Measuring Ingredients: Accurately measuring out ingredients like rice, chicken broth and tomato sauce is essential when cooking any dish. Using too much or too little of one ingredient can throw off the balance of flavors or even cause burning at the bottom.
6. Adjust Time Based on Rice Type: Depending on what type of rice you’re using (long grain white rice, brown rice or jasmine rice), cooking times may vary slightly. Keep this in mind and adjust your cook time accordingly for best results.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll have a delicious and authentic Mexican rice every time you cook it in your Instant Pot!
In conclusion, this Instant Pot Mexican Rice Recipe is a must-try for anyone who enjoys the rich and vibrant flavors of authentic Mexican cuisine. With its classic combination of savory spices, tomato sauce, and rice, this recipe is perfect on its own or as a side dish to your favorite Mexican-inspired entree.
Using an Instant Pot makes cooking this rice quick and easy, with perfectly cooked rice in just 20 minutes. And with endless possibilities for substitutions and variations, you can experiment with different ingredients to make the recipe your own.
Overall, this recipe is perfect for both novice cooks and experienced chefs alike. So go ahead and give it a try, and see for yourself why this recipe is sure to become a staple in your kitchen.
Instant Pot Mexican Rice Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes (to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (7 3/4 ounce) can el pato salsa de chile Fresca soda (yellow can)
- Insert IP cook pot in unit.
- Set up on Saute, Medium heat.
- Melt butter and add rice. Stir to coat and toast until most of the rice is slightly golden. Add onion flakes and minced garlic after about 5 minutes. Cook to color rice but do not brown the garlic. Turn off Saute function.
- Set IP panel for Pressure Cook or Manual for 3 minutes on high pressure.
- Add chicken broth and all seasonings. Stir gently to incorporate.
- Level out rice and gently pour the can of El Pato over the top of the rice & water. DO NOT STIR!
- The water is enough to cook the rice. The tomato sauce is simply a flavoring agent. Due to its thickness and maybe natural sugars if tends to impede the rice cooking if stirred in and tends to scorch on the bottom of the pot.
- Lid up your pot, make sure your ring is in place & hooked around that wire ring nice & tight. Seal & press start.
- After 3 minute beeper sounds, just leave it alone. This will be a natural pressure release for about 12-18 minutes. Pin will drop when ready.
- Open your pot. The top will appear wet, more liquid than you think it should be. Gently dip in and begin to mix in the tomato sauce until all incorporated. Should appear somewhat drier, still moist and have nice fluffy separate grains.
- Turn off or use keep warm for a bit but watch so bottom doesn't get burned over the heating element.
- Great side for Mexican dishes, filling for burritos and I like leftovers mixed in with scrambled eggs for breakfast burritos too.
- Note: El Pato has hotter tomato sauces if that's your thing. If no heat at all is your thing Mexican brand Del Fuerte makes a lightly seasoned tomato sauce in a black cardboard 7 3/4 oz carton or and 8 oz can of plain tomato sauce would work. If you want fresh cilantro can be added before serving.