Welcome, esteemed readers, to the world of instant pot cuisines! As a chef specializing in Vietnamese and Asian cuisine, one of my favorite go-to recipes is Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp in Instant Pot. And let me tell you that this is not just any dessert; it’s a summer delicacy that will satisfy your sweet tooth without an ounce of guilt!
Nowadays, we’re all struggling to balance our day-to-day activities with staying healthy, making it challenging to find time to cook an entire meal from scratch, let alone desserts. But what if I told you that with just a few simple ingredients and the power of an instant pot, you could create a delightful fruit crisp recipe that will knock your socks off.
With this recipe, I guarantee that you’ll achieve excellent results with minimal effort. The unique combination of fresh strawberries and tart rhubarb baked to perfection with a crumb topping made of rolled oats, butter, flour, and brown sugar will melt in your mouth. Plus, the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg gives it an incredibly warm aroma that leaves your kitchen smelling heavenly.
Trust me when I say that once you’ve tasted this crunchy yet tangy dessert, it’ll become a regular part of your dessert rotation. So grab some fresh rhubarb and strawberries and let’s get cookin’ in no time!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you why you will absolutely fall in love with this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp made in your trusty Instant Pot. With fresh strawberries, tart rhubarb, and a delightful crumb topping made of oats, flour and brown sugar, this dessert is the epitome of summer.
Firstly, let’s talk about the flavors. The base of the crisp is made with a blend of sweet strawberries and tangy rhubarb. Not too tart, but not too sweet either. It’s just right! Then there’s the crumbly topping – buttery goodness mixed with rolled oats and brown sugar that create an irresistible flavor explosion in your mouth.
Now here’s the kicker – it’s all made in your Instant Pot! That’s right folks, you read that correctly. The magic cookware does its job perfectly by melting everything together in no time at all. No oven heating up your entire kitchen on those hot summer days.
And not only is this recipe incredibly delicious and easy to make, it’s also super versatile. You can substitute different kinds of fruits depending on what you have on hand or what’s in season. Plus, it’s gluten-free so everyone can enjoy it!
Finally, let’s not forget that this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp pairs amazingly well with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or even some homemade rhubarb compote for added tartness. This is simply the dessert that keeps on giving!
So go ahead and try making this instant pot strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe – you’ll thank me later!
Let’s start by gathering all the ingredients you’ll need to make this delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp in Instant Pot Recipe. Here’s a list of what you’ll require:
- Flour: 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Brown Sugar: 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- Salt: 1/4 tsp salt
- Rolled Oats: 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- Butter: 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Rhubarb: 3 cups rhubarb, sliced into small pieces
- Strawberries: 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Ground Cinnamon: 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg: 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Note: If you want to make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free all-purpose flour instead of regular all-purpose flour.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all the ingredients, it’s time to put them together and make this delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp in Instant Pot Recipe. Don’t worry, it’s super easy!
Step 1: Preparation
- First, preheat the Instant Pot by selecting the Sauté setting.
- While that is heating up, take a mixing bowl and add 2 cups of sliced strawberries and 3 cups of sliced rhubarb.
- Mix in 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
- Combine everything well and let it sit while you prepare the crumble topping.
Step 2: The Crisp Topping
- In another mixing bowl add 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and mix well.
- Then, use your fingers to rub in 1/2 cup butter until the mixture is crumbly.
Step 3: Pressure Cook
- Now that we have everything ready, it’s time to assemble our Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp.
- Pour the fruit mixture into the Instant Pot and sprinkle the crisp topping on top.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once done cooking, let the pressure naturally release for about 10 minutes and then manually release any remaining pressure.
Step 4: Garnish and Serve
- Carefully remove the lid from your Instant Pot.
- Serve in individual bowls with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top along with some fresh strawberries or rhubarb compote.
This recipe is perfect for when you’re craving something sweet but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen! Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Substitutions and Variations
My goodness, if you’re looking to put a twist on this recipe, there are plenty of ways to make it your own! Here are some substitution ideas and variations:
– Gluten-Free: To make this crisp gluten-free, swap out the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free flour blend. You can use almond flour or oat flour for a healthier option.
– Vegan: If you’re looking for a vegan option, simply swap out the butter with coconut oil or vegan margarine. Make sure to choose a margarine that has a high fat content.
– Different Fruits: Although strawberry rhubarb combination is just the bee’s knees, but if doesn’t fly your kite, there is always room to experiment with different fruits. Try blueberries, blackberries or peaches which pair perfectly with rhubarb.
– Crumb Topping: If you prefer more crispy toppings, switch out the rolled oats with crushed nuts like pecans or almonds. You can also add shredded coconut for extra flavor!
– Spice It Up!: To give your crisp more of a kick, add a little bit of ginger powder or cardamom to your filling mixture. Trust me, it will be worth it!
– Slow Cooker Option: If you don’t own an Instant Pot, no worries mate! This dessert is just as fab in a slow cooker. Just prepare the filling as stated in the recipe and follow your slow cooker instructions accordingly.
As Mark Twain once said,’Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside’. So don’t be afraid to make this recipe your own!
Serving and Pairing
Now that you’ve whipped up this delicious strawberry rhubarb crisp in your Instant Pot, it’s time to think about serving and pairing options!
This fruity and tart dessert pairs nicely with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream to balance out the sweetness. If you’re feeling adventurous, try pairing it with a fruity sorbet for a refreshing and unique combination.
Another great option is to sprinkle some sliced almonds or chopped walnuts on top for added texture and crunch. These nuts also add a nice contrast to the soft and gooey filling of the crisp.
When it comes to serving, you can choose to serve it warm right out of the Instant Pot or let it cool down for a bit before slicing and plating. Don’t be concerned if the crisp is a bit runny when you first take it out – simply let it sit for a few minutes to thicken up before serving.
As for portions, this recipe makes about 6 servings, depending on how large or small you make them. You could also double the recipe if you’re feeding a crowd or want leftovers for later.
Overall, this strawberry rhubarb crisp is a great dessert option for casual dinners, potlucks, or summer picnics. It’s easy to make in your Instant Pot and pairs well with different toppings and serving styles.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now, you may be wondering: can I make this strawberry rhubarb crisp ahead of time? The answer is yes! One of the great things about this recipe is that it can be prepared in advance and stored for later consumption. Simply bake the crisp according to the instructions, then let it cool completely. Cover it tightly and store it in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to reheat it.
When you’re ready to enjoy your crisp, there are a few different ways to reheat it depending on your preferences. If you want to maintain the crisp texture of the topping, place it in a preheated 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you could reheat individual portions in the microwave using short bursts of heat until warmed all the way through.
Storing your crisp is very straightforward as well. Just make sure that it’s completely cooled before transferring it to airtight containers or wrapping tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Storing your dessert will help preserve its freshness for up to three days in the refrigerator or up to six months in the freezer.
Lastly, if you’re planning on serving this dessert at a party or gathering, feel free to make larger batches with ease using slow cooker or crock pot devices. These contraptions will allow you to make massive quantities and keep everything warm for all your guests!
Whether you’re looking for a quick treat after dinner or a showstopping summer dessert for a gathering with friends, this strawberry rhubarb crisp is an excellent choice that can be made ahead and enjoyed well into the future!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have all the ingredients and steps to create this mouth-watering dish, it’s vital to keep in mind a few tips for perfect results. Here are some suggestions to ensure your Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp comes out perfect every time.
First and foremost, it’s crucial to slice the rhubarb in uniform slices. This step ensures the rhubarb cooks evenly and doesn’t become too mushy or watery. The ideal size is around half an inch thick, which allows it to maintain its texture.
Another key tip is to use old-fashioned oats with this recipe rather than quick-cooking oats. Old-fashioned oats have a thicker texture that results in a more satisfying crunch, and they absorb moisture better than quick oats, creating a crispier crust.
When mixing the crumble topping, ensure that the butter is at room temperature. This will help it mix well with the dry ingredients and form a crumbly mixture without clumping.
One of the essential tricks for instant pot cooking is ensuring there’s enough liquid available to create steam but not so much that it becomes soupy. For this recipe, you’ll want to use one cup of water for the Instant Pot’s bottom layer to create enough steam without soaking the fruit.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot or want an alternative option, consider using a crock pot or slow cooker as an excellent way to prepare this dish. It may take slightly longer to cook in a crock pot or slow cooker, but it still yields perfectly caramelized fruit with a crisp topping.
Lastly, serve your Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top for extra indulgence! The contrast between the warm fruit and cold ice cream makes for a heavenly combination that your taste buds will thank you for.
By following these tips, you’re sure to make mouth-watering Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp every time without any hassle.
Now that you have got the gist of how to make the delightful Instant Pot Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, it’s time to check out some frequently asked questions about this recipe. In this section, I’ll cover everything from ingredient substitutions to dietary restrictions and some common queries that you might have while making this lip-smacking dessert. So, let’s dive into it!
Why is my strawberry rhubarb crisp runny?
If you find that your rhubarb crisp is too liquid-y while it’s hot, don’t worry – this is a common issue with fruit crisps. Due to the warmth, the juices are particularly runny. However, if you followed the recipe correctly and used the right amount of cornstarch, the crisp should start to thicken as it cools off.
Why do you put strawberry and rhubarb together?
Combining strawberries with rhubarb provides a harmonious balance between sweet and tangy flavors, creating a rich and intricate taste.
How do you keep a rhubarb pie from being runny?
When making a pie filling with rhubarb, it’s common to encounter issues with the filling becoming too watery and runny. This can be attributed to the high water content of the rhubarb itself, which means that using too much thickener can be necessary or having to find ways to extract the liquid from the rhubarb before thickening it. However, I have come up with a solution that involves combining the rhubarb with sugar.
How do you enhance rhubarb Flavour?
In the culinary world, certain ingredients may seem unconventional, but they can add unique and delicious flavor to dishes when used properly. For example, when it comes to lavender, using it excessively can result in a soapy flavor, but a little can go a long way in adding a subtle floral note. Dates, cardamom, ginger, coconut, tomatoes, and various berries are also excellent ingredients that can take meals to the next level with their distinct and exciting flavors.
In conclusion, the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp in Instant Pot is an absolute delight to make and devour, especially during summer. It is a perfect balance between sweet and tangy flavors, featuring the classic combination of tart rhubarb and sweet strawberries. The crumbly, buttery crisp topping is guaranteed to make your heart sing with joy.
With the help of this recipe article, you can easily recreate a healthy and gluten-free version of this summertime treat using fresh ingredients that are readily available in your pantry or local farmer’s market. Plus, it only takes a few simple steps to whip up in your instant pot.
So why not give this recipe a try? I promise you won’t regret it. Whether as a dessert for your family or as an impressive potluck dish, the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp in Instant Pot will be a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of freshly whipped cream on top. Trust me, your taste buds will thank you for it!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp in Instant Pot Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cups strawberries, sliced
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, fresh
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- In large bowl, mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg.
- Fold in rhubarb, strawberries, and orange peel.
- Let mixture sit while you prepare the streusel topping.
- Place the rest of the ingredients into a bowl and use a pastry cutter to cut in the cold butter.
- Spoon the fruit mixture into the ramekins.
- Sprinkle streusel topping over the top.
- Put 1 cup water and the trivet into your Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Let release on natural release for 8 minutes. Then do a quick release and if you'd like a little browning on the top, put the ramekins under the broiler for a few minutes before serving.
- Alternately, bake on 375 for 30 minutes in ramekins or 45 minutes if in a pan.