Welcome to my Instant Pot Beef Tips Recipe! As a chef specializing in Vietnamese and Asian cuisine, I enjoy experimenting with unique and delicious flavors. This recipe is one of my all-time favorites, and I can’t wait to share it with you!
When you think of beef tips, you might envision a stew that has been cooking all day long. However, this recipe will teach you how to make tender, flavorful beef tips in just 20-30 minutes using an Instant Pot.
This recipe makes rich gravy that serves as the perfect accompaniment to the tender beef. You can enjoy it with mashed potatoes or any other side that complements beef. Trust me; it’s a crowd-pleaser and will become a staple recipe in your kitchen.
Why spend all day crafting a dish when you can have the same tender and delicious results in under an hour? Get ready to have your taste buds blown away by the unexpected flavors of this Instant Pot beef tips recipe. Let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Have you been looking for a mouth-watering and simple meal that you can make on busy days? I have just the recipe for you – Instant Pot Beef Tips! Trust me when I say, you will absolutely love this dish. Here’s why:
First off, the beef tips are melt-in-your-mouth tender, thanks to the magic of pressure cooking. Whether you use stew meat or steak cut into cubes, this method of cooking makes even tough cuts of meat tender and juicy. Plus, the cook time is only 20-30 minutes – ideal for those days when you need a quick but satisfying meal.
But that’s not all – the mushroom gravy in this recipe is rich and full of flavor, with a savory mix of onion and Worcestershire sauce. You won’t find any packet mix here – it’s made from scratch! And with the help of cornstarch slurry, the gravy thickens up perfectly.
Not to mention, this recipe is also very versatile. You can easily adjust the seasonings and ingredients to your liking. Feel free to add in some garlic powder or switch up the mushrooms to portabella for extra flavor.
Lastly, Instant Pot Beef Tips go well with everything – mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles. The dish is so hearty and delicious that your friends and family will be asking for seconds.
In summary, it’s hard not to fall in love with this recipe. It’s quick, easy, packed with flavor and so versatile. Give it a try today and see for yourself why it’s one of my favorite dishes!
Let’s go over the list of ingredients for this Instant Pot Beef Tips Recipe.
Beef and Vegetables
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 8 oz portabella mushrooms, sliced
Liquid and Seasonings
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (I recommend a full-bodied one like Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp cornstarch mixed with cold water to make a slurry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
All of these ingredients are simple and easy to find in your local grocery store. make sure you read the whole recipe to understand what utensils you need and how the dish comes together.
The Recipe How-To
Now comes the exciting part – the recipe itself! Before we get started, make sure you have all the necessary ingredients and equipment on hand.
Instant Pot Beef Tips Recipe
- 2 pounds stew meat or beef tips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 portabella mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for sautéing
- Cut 2 pounds of beef tips into small, even cubes if they aren’t already.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Press “Sauté” mode on your Instant Pot and add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pot.
- Once hot, add seasoned beef and cook until lightly browned.
- Remove beef from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add chopped onions to Instant Pot and sauté until softened.
- Add sliced mushrooms, stirring occasionally for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine to deglaze and scrape off any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and stir everything together.
- Return beef to Instant Pot and stir everything together.
- Close lid firmly on Instant Pot and set to “Pressure Cook” mode for 20 – 25 minutes per 450 g (1 lb) depending on size of cut steak cubes.
- Once cooking cycle is complete, use a Quick Release by manually turning the valve to release pressure until float valve drops down completely.
- Open lid carefully away from your face; allow a few seconds for steam to escape before opening
- Combine cornstarch with cold water in a small bowl to make a cornstarch slurry.
- Switch to “Sauté” mode and add cornstarch slurry to the Instant Pot.
- Stir until the gravy thickens and reaches your desired consistency for about 2-3 minutes.
- Press “Cancel” on Instant Pot and let the beef tips rest a few minutes before serving with mashed potatoes, noodles or rice.
Now that you know how to cook Instant Pot Beef Tips with an amazing gravy recipe, experiment with different side dishes for a tasty meal!
Substitutions and Variations
One of the best things about this Instant Pot beef tips recipe is that it can be easily adapted to suit your taste and preference. Here are some suggestions for substitutions and variations that you can try:
– Mushroom: If you’re not a fan of portabella mushrooms, you can use other types of mushrooms such as shiitake, cremini or button mushrooms instead. You can even try a mix of different mushrooms to add extra depth of flavor.
– Beef: This recipe calls for stew meat or beef tips, but you can also use other types of beef such as chuck roast or sirloin steak. Keep in mind that different cuts of beef may require different cooking times and adjustments to the seasoning.
– Wine: Dry red wine adds richness and complexity to the gravy, but if you prefer to cook without wine or need a non-alcoholic option, you can replace it with additional beef broth or red grape juice. Just remember to adjust the salt level accordingly.
– Garlic: For garlic lovers, you can add extra garlic powder or minced garlic to enhance the flavor profile. On the other hand, if you’re not a big fan of garlic, feel free to skip it altogether or reduce the amount.
– Cornstarch slurry: Some people prefer a thicker gravy while others like it more liquidy. To thicken the gravy, you can increase the amount of cornstarch in the slurry (e.g. 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 1/4 cup cold water) or use flour instead. Alternatively, you can omit this step entirely and let the gravy reduce naturally until it reaches your desired consistency.
– Spices: While this recipe uses simple seasonings like salt and pepper, you can experiment with other spices and herbs such as rosemary, thyme, paprika or cumin depending on your taste buds. Just be sure to adjust the quantities accordingly and taste test along the way.
Remember, cooking is always a fun and creative process, so feel free to make your own unique variations and share them with your loved ones.
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve cooked up this Instant Pot beef tips recipe to perfection, you’ll want to serve it up with some complementary sides and beverages to make the dish really sing. This dish is versatile and pairs well with a variety of sides, but my go-to picks are creamy mashed potatoes or buttery egg noodles.
The rich, savory beef tips gravy recipe makes a perfect accompaniment for starchy carbs – any small boiled potatoes or wide, flat pasta would work to mop up the delicious flavors. You could also pair this with some crusty bread for added texture and dimension.
For a healthier option, consider pairing the beef tips with a simple side salad loaded with fresh veggies such as arugula, spinach, diced tomatoes and cucumbers tossed in light vinaigrette. The bright, tangy flavors of the salad will balance out the richness of the beef dish.
To round off this meal, I recommend washing it down with your choice of red wine. For extra depth of flavor, choose a dry red wine like cabernet sauvignon or merlot that pairs well with hearty meat dishes. If wine isn’t your thing, you could also try serving it up with an ice cold beer or refreshing iced tea.
Whatever you choose to serve with this Instant Pot beef tips recipe, make sure to savor every bite and enjoy the company around your table – this dish is sure to bring folks together!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about this Instant Pot Beef Tips Recipe is that it can be made ahead and stored for later use. The leftovers are even better the next day after all the flavors have had time to deepen!
To make ahead, simply follow the recipe instructions and cook as directed. Once the beef tips are cooked, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
When reheating, make sure to add a splash of beef broth or cold water to thin out the gravy and help prevent it from becoming too thick. You can reheat in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat on the stovetop over medium heat until heated through.
If you have a large batch of leftovers, consider freezing them for future meals. To freeze, allow the beef tips to cool completely before transferring them to an airtight container or freezer bag. They will keep in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
To thaw frozen beef tips, transfer them to the refrigerator the night before you plan to use them. Alternatively, you can thaw them in cold water or using your microwave’s defrost setting.
Overall, this Instant Pot Beef Tips Recipe is perfect for meal prepping and busy weeknights when you need something quick and comforting. Plus, with its rich mushroom gravy and mouthwatering beef, it’s guaranteed to be a family favorite!
Tips for Perfect Results
For a successful Instant Pot Beef Tips dish, here are some tips that I’ve learned from my experience.
1. Brown the meat: Before cooking, ensure that the beef tips are browned. This enriches the flavor and texture of the meat.
2. Avoid overcooking: Since beef cooks quickly in an Instant Pot, don’t overcook it. An ideal range is cooking for twenty to thirty minutes depending on the size of your beef cuts.
3. Seal Instant Pot: Close your Instant Pot’s lid tightly so that it locks securely in place. This ensures perfect cooking and keeps steam inside while decreasing the cooking time.
4. Use natural release: Quick-release sometimes results in chewy meat. To avoid this, use natural release, letting pressure decrease naturally before opening the lid.
5. Use cold liquid: Add cold liquid when cooking with an Instant pot. This is because your pot needs more time to come up to pressure when there is no warm liquid, resulting in more tender meat.
6. Use a cornstarch slurry: When using cornstarch as a thickener instead of a roux, whisk cornstarch with cold water until it becomes a slurry to avoid lumps in your gravy or sauce.
7. Adjust seasonings after cooking: It’s better to add extra salt or pepper after cooking since it’s harder to undo over-seasoning.
8. Pair with mashed potatoes or rice: When serving, mashed potatoes or rice pair perfectly with this dish as they can get covered in the tasty gravy too.
By following these tips for perfect results, your Instant Pot Beef Tips will turn out succulent, tender, and flavorful every time!
Now that you know how to make Instant Pot Beef Tips, you might have some questions or doubts. Don’t worry! I’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions to help you solve any issues that may arise during the process. Check them out below!
How long to cook beef in an Instant Pot?
When it comes to cooking different cuts of beef, the required cooking time varies depending on the size and type of cut. Large chunks such as pot roast, steak, rump, round, chuck, blade, or brisket typically take about 20-25 minutes per 450 g / 1 lb to cook. Ribs and shanks, on the other hand, require around 20-30 minutes per 450 g / 1 lb and 25-30 minutes per 450 g / 1 lb, respectively. For oxtail, you’ll need to set aside 40-50 minutes per 450 g / 1 lb to ensure that it’s cooked through perfectly.
Why is my stew meat tough in Instant Pot?
When preparing beef stew in the instant pot, one may encounter a common issue of tough stew meat. This could be due to the cook time being too rapid, and it is recommended to let the instant pot reach pressure, cook, and then allow the pressure to naturally release to achieve tender beef. Additionally, the cut of stew meat used can also contribute to its level of tenderness.
Does beef get tender in Instant Pot?
When preparing beef tips using a pressure cooker, it’s crucial to allow ample cook time to achieve the desired tenderness. This is because the cartilage and fat in the beef need sufficient time to break down, which generally takes about 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size of the steak cubes. The gravy produced by this recipe is both flavorsome and satisfying in texture.
Is stew meat the same as beef tips?
When it comes to beef, the terms “beef tips” and “stew meat” are frequently used interchangeably, but there is actually a notable difference between them. Beef tips are taken from the tenderloin or sirloin, and are known for their natural tenderness which makes them quick to cook. On the other hand, stew meat is typically cut from the shoulder area and requires a process like braising in order to achieve the desired tenderness.
In conclusion, this Instant Pot Beef Tips Recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves tender and flavorful beef dishes. The recipe is easy to follow and the ingredients are simple, yet the end result is a dish that is bursting with delicious flavors. The use of an Instant Pot makes this dish even easier, as it cooks the beef quickly and tenderizes it perfectly without having to spend hours on the stove.
Whether you’re looking for a hearty dinner for your family or are entertaining guests, this recipe will surely impress everyone at the table. So why not add this recipe to your repertoire and make it a go-to for any occasion? Your taste buds will thank you!
Instant Pot Beef Tips Recipe
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb top sirloin steak, steak cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or 1/3 cup beef broth
- 1/2 lb sliced baby portabella mushroom
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 -4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Select saute setting, and adjust for high heat, in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Heat 2 teaspoons oil. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Brown meat in batches, adding oil as needed.
- Transfer meat to a bowl. Add wine or broth and balsamic to cooker, stirring to loosen browned bits.
- Return beef to cooker on Sauté; add mushrooms and onion and stir together a few minutes; add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Lock lid; make sure vent is closed.
- Select Pressure setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 15 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer's directions.
- Select saute setting, and adjust for high heat; bring liquid to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into beef mixture. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes. Yield: 4 servings.