Attention aspiring chefs and Instant Pot lovers! Are you looking for an easy and delicious recipe to impress your dinner guests or simply satisfy your people’s cravings for barbecue? Look no further than this mouth-watering Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe.
As a chef specializing in Vietnamese and Asian cuisine, I know the importance of using fresh, quality ingredients to achieve the best results. This recipe is no exception. With a combination of succulent pork shoulder, savory seasonings, and tangy barbecue sauce, your taste buds are in for a treat.
The best part? This recipe is quick and easy to make with an Instant Pot, which means you can enjoy tender pulled pork without spending all day cooking over low heat. In just 45 minutes at high pressure, you’ll have perfectly cooked, juicy meat that falls right off the bone.
Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or simply looking for a tasty weeknight dinner, this Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe is sure to impress. So grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a fan of juicy, tender and flavorful pulled pork? Do you love easy-to-follow recipes that help you save time in the kitchen? If so, then this Instant Pot pulled pork recipe is perfect for you!
Let me tell you why you’ll love this recipe. First of all, it uses the Instant Pot pressure cooker to cook the pork, which significantly cuts down the cooking time. You can have perfectly cooked and tender pulled pork in just 45 minutes!
Not only is this recipe quick, but it also produces the best BBQ pulled pork you’ve ever tasted! The combination of BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and a blend of spices including cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder and more creates an explosion of flavors in your mouth.
And don’t worry about being a beginner cook – this recipe is super easy to follow with just a handful of ingredients that you can easily find in your pantry or local grocery store. All you need to do is rub the pork shoulder with a mix of spices and add it to the Instant Pot with some chicken broth and BBQ sauce. Then cook on high pressure for 45 minutes followed by a natural pressure release before pulling the pork apart with two forks.
Trust me; once you make this recipe, it will become your go-to for family dinners or backyard BBQs. Not to mention how versatile it is – you can serve it on sandwiches, sliders or even tacos! So go ahead and give this easy instant pot pulled pork recipe a try – I guarantee that both your taste buds and your busy schedule will thank you!
Before starting with the step-by-step recipe, it’s important to gather all the necessary ingredients in one place. With simple ingredients, you can create a delicious Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe to impress your friends and family. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Boneless Pork Shoulder or Pork Butt: You’ll need around 1-2 lbs or 450-900 g of boneless pork shoulder or pork butt. These cuts work great for pulled pork as they are tender, and easy to pull apart after cooking.
- Garlic Powder: It adds a nice garlicky flavor without overpowering the other seasonings.
- Onion Powder: It brings a sweet and savory element that helps balance out the flavors of the pulled pork.
- Paprika: It gives the meat a nice smoky flavor and a dark reddish color.
- Ground Mustard: It has a tangy taste that further adds interest to the dish aside from enhancing the flavor of other seasoning.
- Cayenne Pepper: It provides heat and some sweet undertones, not just hotness.
- Black Pepper: It balances out the flavors with its earthy tone.
- Coarse Salt: It brings out the natural flavor of the meat, and ensures that all sides are well-seasoned.
- Olive Oil: It adds depth to the flavor of the dish.
- Chicken Broth: It is used in this recipe as it adds more flavor than water alone.
- Liquid Smoke: It does wonders in making that smokey taste we love in bbq pulled pork when there is no time for long cooking hours over traditional smoking methods.
- Worcestershire sauce:It provides another layer of savory taste to dress up any meat dishes.
- Light Brown Sugar: To add a touch of sweetness to this savory dish, I use light brown sugar that complements the flavors of the barbecue sauce.
- Barbecue Sauce: One cup of your favorite sauce will do. You may prefer it spicy, sweet, smoky or tangy.
With these ingredients, you’re good to go with the rest of the recipe!
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have all of the ingredients on the counter, it is time to get cooking! If you are a barbecue lover, then you understand the importance of pulled pork. With this Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe, you can make tender, juicy pork in no time!
Step 1: Prep the Pork
Grab your boneless pork shoulder and slice it into roughly equal pieces of about 2-3 inches thickness. In a bowl, mix together your garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, brown sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper, ground mustard and mix. Rub this mixture on all sides of your pork pieces.
Step 2: Brown the Pork ###
Set your Instant Pot to “saute” mode and add olive oil. Once the oil heats up properly, add your pork pieces and brown them on each side for around 2-3 minutes until they turn golden-brown.
Step 3: Add Liquid ###
Pour into Instant Pot 1/2 cup chicken broth, light (not dark) Worcestershire sauce, and just a splash (about a teaspoon) of liquid smoke.
Step 4: Pressure Cook ###
Secure lid in place and hit pressure cook or manual button (depending on your model) and set on high pressure for 45 minutes if using boneless pork shoulder. Allow it to naturally release pressure after cooking.
Step 5: Pull Apart the Meat
After natural release has completed (which could be about another 15-20 minutes), open the lid and using tongs, remove any large pieces of fat from pork then pull apart with two forks into tender shredded strands . Add about one cup of barbecue sauce incrementally while stirring slowly to get your desired level of sauciness; stop once it reaches there.
Now your masterpiece is done! This recipe will give you the best bbq pulled pork and it will take only 45 minutes! Enjoy it for dinner or use it in a pork sandwich with some coleslaw on top.
Substitutions and Variations
The Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe is versatile and you can blend in different ingredients to satisfy your taste buds. Try some of these creative variations:
– Chicken or Beef broth: Instead of the chicken broth, you can always use beef or vegetable broth if you are a fan of veggies.
– Dry Rub: You may want to skip the bbq sauce on occasion by using a dry rub rather than your typical wet rub.
– Spicier version: If you are looking for something with a little more heat, add a few extra shakes of cayenne pepper or chili powder to pack an extra punch.
– Sweet version: To create a sweet twist of this recipe, add honey or maple syrup while rubbing the boneless pork loin.
– Different Meat Options: While pork shoulder is the traditional meat choice, you can use pork roast, pork chops, pork loin, or even beef if that’s what you prefer.
– Crock Pot Option: If you don’t have an Instant Pot, consider using your trusty slow cooker (crockpot) instead. This will require longer cooking times (6-8 hours), but the preparation will remain quite similar.
By making these various adjustments, it means there is something versatile for everyone when it comes to Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe. And as tempting as it may be to experiment with all these flavors at once, remember to stick with one variation at first so that you can appreciate how each potential alteration impacts the flavor outcome.
Serving and Pairing
What better way to enjoy a tender pulled pork than serving it with some delectable sides that will complement the flavors of this BBQ pulled pork recipe? The aroma and flavors of this barbecue pulled pork are bound to whet your appetite, and you’ll quickly start thinking of plenty of delicious side dishes to make. Here are some suggestions to help get you started.
To begin with, one cannot go wrong serving this Instant Pot Pulled Pork dish with coleslaw. The crisp crunch of the cabbage and fresh tangy flavor in coleslaw palette complement the flavors in this sandwich. A simple salad on the side is another great choice, making it an ideal meal for those hot summer days. You can also add some baked beans or mac and cheese for a traditional BBQ feel.
If you want to switch things up a bit, consider serving your Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork on a sandwich. Lightly toast your favorite bread, pile high with tender pulled pork, and top with a generous amount of barbecue sauce. Add lettuce and tomatoes for an extra crunch. Trust me; it’s an effortless way to satisfy your cravings and make you feel like a true pitmaster.
When it comes to beverages, there’s no need to complicate things. Coke or Pepsi pair well with pulled pork barbeque sandwiches or try mint julep on those hot summer days to cut through the richness of the sauce. Or why not go full-on Southern-style by serving sweet ice tea? It gives off sweet tea vibes adding charm to any gathering.
Whether you choose traditional sides or opt for more modern food pairings ideas, it doesn’t matter much as long as the flavors complement each other. This Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe can be an easy adjustable dish that sits comfortably within any menu–from rustic-themed picnics to elegant garden parties–it caters all occasions!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you’re planning a party or just want an easier meal prep, make this instant pot pulled pork recipe ahead of time! It’s a great way to save time and still provide your guests with the best bbq pulled pork.
To make ahead, simply follow the recipe instructions up to the point where you’ve pressure cooked the pork to perfection. Allow it to cool down and then transfer it into an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to serve, take out the container from the refrigerator or freezer and let it thaw overnight in the fridge (if frozen). To reheat, warm it on a skillet over medium heat or microwave until heated through.
Pro-tip: Add a tablespoon of chicken broth while reheating the pulled pork to retain its moisture and juiciness.
Leftovers can also be used to make delicious pulled pork sandwiches or added into salads for extra protein. The versatility of this dish makes it perfect for lunch, dinner or a satisfying snack.
So whether you’re feeding a hungry crowd, meal prepping for the week, or needing an easy dinner option, this instant pot pulled pork recipe is perfect for every occasion.
Tips for Perfect Results
When cooking Instant Pot Pulled Pork, there are a few tips and tricks to ensure that your dish turns out perfectly. Here are some tips that I’ve learned along the way to make the most tender and flavorful pulled pork:
1. Use boneless pork shoulder or pork butt: These cuts of meat are perfect for pulled pork because they have enough fat and collagen to break down during the cooking process, resulting in a tender and juicy finished product.
2. Add liquid smoke for flavor: Liquid smoke is a great way to add smoky flavor to your pulled pork without having to use a smoker or grill. Just a teaspoon or two goes a long way!
3. Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes: This may seem like a long time, but it ensures that the pork is cooked all the way through and falls apart easily once shredded.
4. Allow natural pressure release: Once the cooking is done, do not open the Instant Pot immediately. The pork will continue to cook as the pressure releases naturally, resulting in more tender meat.
5. Shred using two forks: After removing the pork from the Instant Pot, transfer it to a large bowl or cutting board and use two forks to shred the meat into bite-sized pieces.
6. Mix with barbecue sauce: Add one cup of barbecue sauce to the shredded pork and mix well until every piece is coated with sauce.
7. Store leftovers properly: If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. You can also freeze pulled pork for up to three months.
Follow these tips, and you’ll have tender pulled pork that’s bursting with flavor!
Now, let’s move on to some commonly asked questions regarding this Instant Pot Pulled Pork recipe. I understand that everyone has different cooking experiences and preferences, so I’m here to address any potential concerns you might have. Whether you’re a novice or an experienced cook, these FAQs will help ensure your pulled pork comes out absolutely delicious. So, let’s dive in!
Is pulled pork better in Instant Pot or slow cooker?
When it comes to cooking meat, using the slow cooking method ensures that it remains delicate and tender. Alternatively, pressure cooking could be a faster way to cook the meat, although it may result in a slight loss of tenderness.
Why is my pulled pork tough in the Instant Pot?
One common reason for tough pulled pork in the Instant Pot is a quick pressure release instead of a natural pressure release. To avoid this, allow for a natural pressure release for at least 2 minutes before opening the vent.
How long do you cook pork in the Instant Pot?
When it comes to cooking different types of meat, it’s important to keep track of the time. The cooking time may vary depending on the cut, the weight, and the method of cooking. A loin roast of pork typically takes about 20 minutes per 450 grams or 1 pound, while a butt roast of pork may need 15 minutes per 450 grams/1 pound. For pork ribs, expect a cooking time of around 15-20 minutes per 450 grams/1 pound. If you’re cooking turkey breast without the bone, it usually takes about 7-9 minutes per 450 grams/1 pound. Remember that these are just general guidelines – always use a meat thermometer to ensure the meat is properly cooked.
What is the secret to tender pulled pork?
If you want to savor the most succulent and melt-in-your-mouth pulled pork, slow and low cooking is the trick. You can have the pork plain or jazz it up with some barbecue sauce or other condiments after cooking.
So there you have it, the Instant Pot pulled pork recipe that will satisfy your cravings for a tender and flavorful BBQ pulled pork. With the use of the Instant Pot, you can cook the meat in just a fraction of the time compared to slow cooking methods, without sacrificing the taste and quality.
The secret lies in the combination of our ingredient list, seasoning, and cooking method that helps render the perfect and juicy pulled pork every time. And with ample use of substitutes and variations mentioned above, you can always tweak to your preferences.
Now that you have all the necessary knowledge about making delicious instant pot pulled pork from scratch, it is time to get started. So make sure you follow all the steps carefully, using quality ingredients and equipment like an instant pot pressure cooker or a slow cooker.
The end result will surely be worth it – tender, juicy meat with rich flavors that can be served as a main dish or in sandwiches. So next time you want to impress your family or friends with your culinary skills, make sure you remember this recipe for instant pot pulled pork.
Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe
- 4 lbs pork butt
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Trim fat from pork roast and cut into 4 same size chunks.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together. Add pork roast chunks to rub mix and coat well.
- Add 2 tbs olive oil to Instant Pot and set to saute. Once it indicates hot, add 2 pieces of the pork. Sear on each side for about 2 minutes each. Remove pork and set aside on a plate. Repeat with remaining pork pieces.
- Once pork is seared and removed from pot, press cancel and add ½ cup chicken broth. Use a wooden spoon and deglaze the bottom of the pot. Make sure to scrape up all the bits. Then add remaining chicken broth. Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke.
- Place pork chunks directly into the liquid in the pot, spacing out as best possible. Secure lid and make sure vent is set to sealing. Pressure cook/manual on high pressure for 60 minutes.Then let pressure release naturally for 20 minutes or until pin drops.
- Remove pork to a large bowl and shred with 2 forks. Add your favorite BBQ sauce as desired. Or use the juice from the Instant Pot – it’s loaded with awesome flavor.