My dear food lovers, let me take you on a culinary journey today with this Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew With Curry and Chilis recipe. As a chef specializing in Vietnamese and Asian cuisine, I have come across some of the most delicious recipes that are worth sharing with fellow food enthusiasts like you. This recipe is an absolute gem that is full of flavors and spices that tickle your taste buds in the best possible way.
This lamb stew curry recipe is perfect for those cozy evenings when you want to enjoy a warm bowl of comfort food. The cooking method of using an instant pot speeds up the process while preserving all the rich flavors and nutrients locked within the lamb meat. This dish boasts Indian spices, including garam masala, Madras curry powder, ground cumin, arbol chiles, garlic, ginger, onion, and kosher salt. The secret to this recipe’s success lies in the quality of lamb shoulder used, making it one of the best lamb curry dishes I have ever tried.
The aroma of this dish while it cooks is sure to tantalize your senses, leaving your family and guests eager to try it. Serve it up with cilantro and steamed rice on the side to complete your meal. Plus, the convenience of using an instant pot makes this recipe a must-try on those busy days when time is scarce.
So let’s go ahead and dive into the ingredient list and step-by-step instructions for creating this delicious Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew With Curry and Chilis recipe. Get ready for a flavor explosion that will take your taste buds on an unforgettable adventure!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Fellow foodies, let me tell you why you will fall head over heels in love with this Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew with Curry and Chilis recipe. This recipe is a great representation of the fusion of Asian and Indian cuisine, creating a harmonious blend of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds.
First of all, it’s incredibly easy to make using an Instant Pot or any pressure cooker. With minimal prep time and only 40 minutes to cook, you’ll have a hearty and flavorful meal on the table in no time. Plus, there’s nothing better than the convenience of one-pot meals that reduce dishes and make clean-up a breeze.
Now let’s talk about the star of this stew – tender and succulent lamb shoulder. The meaty flavor of lamb perfectly complements the blend of spices such as cumin, Madras curry powder, garam masala, and arbol chiles. The resulting aroma will permeate your kitchen and make your mouth water.
For those who prefer mild spice, fear not! The sweetness from granulated sugar tempers the heat from the chilies while still adding depth to the dish. Additionally, ginger and garlic provide a pungent kick that transcends this stew to the next level.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is how customizable it is. You can substitute lamb shoulder for another cut of lamb meat if that’s what you have available. Or if you’re vegetarian or vegan, switch out the lamb for chickpeas or tofu for a protein-packed vegan twist on this delicious meal.
This Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew with Curry and Chilis can also be paired with numerous side dishes like steamed rice or noodles to complete the meal. And don’t forget to top it off with fresh cilantro for an added burst of herbaceousness.
There’s just something special about finding the perfect recipe that makes your taste buds sing. Trust me, this is one of those recipes that will have you coming back for seconds and thirds. So, get your Instant Pot ready and let’s cook up a storm!
Here are the ingredients that you will need to make this delicious Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew with Curry and Chilis recipe:
- 2 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 arbol chiles, sliced in half (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp Madras curry powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil or any neutral oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
For serving and garnish: steamed rice, chopped cilantro.
The ingredient list may seem intimidating at first glance, but don’t worry! Most of the ingredients are pantry staples in Indian and Asian cuisine. With a quick run to the grocery store, you will be able to create a flavorful and aromatic stew that is sure to please your taste buds.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get to the recipe how-to! Follow these simple steps to make your very own Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew With Curry and Chilis:
- 2 lbs of boneless lamb shoulder, cubed into small pieces
- 2 tbsp of garam masala
- 1 tbsp of Madras curry powder
- 1 tbsp of ground cumin
- 2 arbol chiles, crushed
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp of kosher salt
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp of granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp of water
First, turn your Instant Pot onto the sauté function and heat up some grapeseed oil. Once heated, add the chopped onions and cook until they are soft and translucent.
Add in the garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute until fragrant.
Toss in the lamb stew meat and sprinkle with garam masala, Madras curry powder, ground cumin, crushed arbol chiles, kosher salt and black pepper.
Cook for a few minutes on each side until the lamb has browned.
Pour in a cup of water followed by granulated sugar; mixing well to incorporate the ingredients.
Close the lid on your Instant Pot and set it to Manual High Pressure for 40 minutes.
When the timer is up, let the pressure naturally release for about 15 minutes before removing the lid.
Press the sauté button again and add the cornstarch mixture to thicken up the broth.
Serve hot garnished with fresh cilantro leaves over steamed rice or with noodles.
- This lamb stew recipe is highly customizable. Feel free to adjust the amount of spice and heat to your liking.
- If you prefer a richer and creamier curry, add in a can of coconut milk before cooking.
- You may also use other cuts of lamb such as lamb chops or mutton curry for this recipe.
Now that you know how to cook Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew With Curry and Chilis recipe, it’s time to impress your family and friends with your delicious cooking skills!
Substitutions and Variations
One of my favorite things about cooking is experimenting with different ingredients and finding unique ways to make a dish my own. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try with this Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew With Curry and Chilis recipe:
– Meat Substitutions: If you aren’t a fan of lamb, you can easily substitute beef or chicken in this recipe. For an even heartier stew, try using beef short ribs or brisket. You can also use mutton if you prefer a stronger flavor.
– Spice Substitutions: This recipe calls for garam masala, Madras curry powder, and ground cumin, but feel free to experiment with different spice blends to create your own unique flavor profile. Try coriander cumin, chili powder, or turmeric for an Indian-inspired spice blend. Israeli chili and curry powder give this recipe a Middle Eastern flair.
– Vegetable Variations: While this recipe calls for onions and garlic, you can add other vegetables to this stew to give it more texture and flavor. Carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and green beans are all great options.
– Coconut Milk: Instead of using water as a base for your stew, consider using coconut milk instead to create a creamy texture that’ll complement the spices perfectly.
– Serving Suggestions: While this stew tastes delicious on its own, here are some serving suggestions to switch it up: serve it over steamed rice with chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream; pair it with noodles for a Chinese-inspired lamb dish; or use it as a filling for lamb stir fry.
Remember to have fun and experiment with different ingredients until you find the perfect combination that suits your taste buds!
Serving and Pairing
Now that your Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew with Curry and Chilis is ready, it’s time to think about the best ways to serve and pair it. This hearty dish goes incredibly well with a steaming bowl of white or brown rice, making it a perfect comfort food option for any day of the week.
You may also want to consider serving the stew alongside some fluffy naan bread or toasted baguette slices to soak up all of those delicious juices. A dollop of yogurt or sour cream on top can add a cooling element to balance out the spice level.
For drinks, consider pairing this dish with a bold red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Malbec. It also pairs nicely with a crisp and refreshing beer like an IPA or a lager.
If you’re in the mood for something non-alcoholic, I recommend serving this stew with a glass of Thai iced tea or a tall glass of cucumber lemonade for an added touch of sweetness and freshness.
No matter how you decide to serve and pair this Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew with Curry and Chilis, one thing is for sure – it’s bound to become a crowd-pleaser at any gathering!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Ah, the joy of leftovers. We all love it when we can save some time by turning yesterday’s dinner into today’s lunch. This lamb stew is perfect for make-ahead meals as the flavors actually deepen after a day or two in the fridge. Here are some tips to make sure your leftovers stay as delicious as the first serving:
Make-Ahead: If you’re planning to eat this tomorrow, let it cool completely before storing it. Once it is cool, transfer the lamb stew to an airtight container and pop it into the fridge for up to three days. You can also freeze the stew for up to three months.
Storing: For best results, store the stew in shallow containers to help it cool down quickly in the fridge. Don’t mix your rice with lamb stew because storing them together will cause both dishes to spoil more quickly.
Reheating: When reheating in the microwave, add a tablespoon of water per cup of stew and stir well before reheating for around 30-40 seconds at a time until heated through. If you’re reheating on the stove, use low heat and keep stirring regularly. Add additional seasoning if necessary.
Pro Tip: The flavors of this cumin lamb stew lend themselves well to a variety of meals beyond just steamed rice, such as noodles, stir fry, or even a Moroccan inspired dish! So go ahead and get creative; add some fresh herbs like cilantro or mint for an extra flavor boost.
Remember that warming leftover lamb can result in overcooking if you’re not careful, so exercise caution and don’t leave it unattended. Now that you have some tips on how to make-ahead, store and reheat your lamb stew, you can enjoy your delicious creation any time of the day without losing any of its incredible flavors. Happy cooking!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now, for those of you who want to make the most of your Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew with Curry and Chilis, I have some helpful tips to share with you.
First and foremost, make sure to use high-quality lamb stew meat for this dish. It’ll make a world of difference in terms of flavor and tenderness. I recommend using boneless lamb shoulder, which is perfect for stews.
Another key factor that can’t be overlooked is ensuring your Instant Pot is functioning properly. Take time to double-check that your pressure release valve and sealing ring are clean and secure before starting to cook.
Before adding the meat to the Instant Pot, be sure to brown it first. This will enhance the flavor and texture of the stew, giving it a nice crispy exterior while keeping the inside tender and juicy.
Proper seasoning is also crucial when it comes to making the best Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew with Curry and Chilis. Don’t be afraid to adjust the salt, sugar, or spice levels based on your personal preference.
As for cooking time, follow the recipe instructions carefully, but keep in mind that every Instant Pot is different. You may need to add a few more minutes depending on your equipment and altitude.
Lastly, for an extra burst of freshness and flavor, top off your finished stew with some chopped cilantro. This herb perfectly complements the spicy and savory flavors in the dish while adding a beautiful green pop of color.
By following these tips, you’re sure to create a stunning cumin lamb stew that’s both flavorful and satisfying – perfect for impressing your family or guests!
In conclusion, this Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew with Curry and Chilis recipe is a perfect way to enjoy a delicious and flavorful meal without spending too much time in the kitchen. With its combination of Indian spices, lamb meat, and aromatic vegetables, this dish will surely satisfy your cravings for hearty and exotic flavors.
As I’ve mentioned, this recipe is highly customizable and can be adapted to fit your preferences or dietary restrictions. You can also experiment with different varieties of meat and add various vegetables depending on what you have on hand. This recipe truly offers endless possibilities!
So whether you’re new to the Instant Pot craze or an experienced user, give this recipe a try! I assure you that it’s worth the effort. Serve it over steamed rice, garnish with fresh cilantro, and savor every bite. Your taste buds will thank you.
Instant Pot Cumin Lamb Stew With Curry and Chilis Recipe
- 2 1/2 lbs lamb shoulder, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, plus more as necessary
- 1 large onion, cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
- one-inch piece ginger, skin-on, cut into thin slices
- 1 head garlic, broken into cloves, skin-on
- 4 -7 whole arbol chiles, to taste
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (or a combination of both) or 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder (or a combination of both)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- steamed rice, for serving
- chopped cilantro, for serving
- Preheat Instant Pot to saute setting.
- Generously season lamb cubes with salt. Add grapeseed oil to pot and swirl to coat. Add lamb, in batches so as not to overcrowd pot, and sear until golden, turning once, about 5 minutes per side. Remove lamb to a large plate as they finish.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon oil (or add an additional tablespoon if pan is dry). Add onion, ginger, garlic cloves, and chile de arbol, season with salt, and saute until golden in spots, about 5 minutes. Add lamb back to pan. Create a well in the center, add one additional tablespoon grapeseed oil, and add spices. Stir to coat with oil and toast until fragrant, 30 seconds. Gently fold to incorporate lamb and onions. Sprinkle with cornstarch and sugar, stir to combine, and add water, scraping bottom of pan to deglaze. (You can also do this in a skillet on the stovetop over high heat; cooking time will be reduced. Transfer mixture to Instant Pot and proceed as per recipe.).
- Cover and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Release the pressure naturally.
- With a slotted spoon, remove lamb and aromatics to a bowl. Cover to keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid, using a fat separator, if desired. Season cooking liquid and lamb with salt. Return lamb and aromatics to cooking liquid, stir to combine, and serve over rice, garnished with cilantro.