Welcome to my kitchen, where I love creating delicious and authentic Vietnamese and Asian cuisine dishes. Today, I want to take a little break from my usual specialties and introduce you to a recipe that will have you coming back for seconds and maybe even thirds.
I am excited to share my Instant Pot Refried Beans Recipe with you! These beans are flavorful and hearty, perfect as a side dish or even as the main course. Cooking dried beans can be time-consuming, but with an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, making refried beans has never been easier.
I have always loved making homemade refried beans, but it wasn’t until I started using an Instant Pot that I realized how easy it could be. This recipe is the perfect example of what’s possible with an Instant Pot. In just 50 minutes, including prep time, you can enjoy smooth and tasty refried beans that taste like they’ve been simmering for hours.
Trust me when I say this recipe is going to change your perception of refried beans – they aren’t just for Mexican cuisine anymore! So get ready to experience this delicious twist on classic comfort food – it’s time to make some Instant Pot Refried Beans!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Imagine having your favorite refried beans ready in less than an hour without soaking them overnight. Well, with this instant pot refried beans recipe, you can have the perfect homemade refried beans at your fingertips in no time.
This recipe offers a hassle-free and convenient way of making authentic refried beans that are healthy, nutritious, and fabulously delicious. Not only is it effortless to put together, but it is also highly versatile, allowing you to customize the flavors to suit your taste buds.
If you are a fan of Mexican cuisine or just love exploring new culinary horizons, you will surely appreciate this instant pot refried beans recipe. Packed with flavors from cumin, oregano, and bay leaves, this dish offers a unique blend of smokiness and spiciness that will keep your taste buds engaged.
Moreover, this recipe makes an incredible side dish for many dishes such as tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and quesadillas. The creamy texture of the beans accented with flavorful herbs and spices is what makes the dish stand out.
What’s more? This recipe features dry pinto beans rather than canned ones. Therefore, it provides you with an opportunity to cook great-tasting homemade refried beans without compromising on quality. With the instant pot pressure cooker on hand, you can have perfectly cooked beans in 45 minutes flat!
This instant pot refried beans recipe allows you to enjoy the taste of your favorite restaurant-style refried beans in under an hour. From start to finish, everything is straightforward and easy to follow since none of us has all day to spend preparing food.
Trust me; once you try this authentic refried beans recipe made from scratch in your instant pot pressure cooker, there’s no going back! So why not give it a try today and take a culinary trip into the heart of Mexico? You won’t regret it!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this authentic refried beans recipe using an Instant Pot:
- 2 cups of dried pinto beans
- 6 cups of water
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
Make sure you have all these ingredients before starting to cook. Using dried beans is key for the best texture and flavor in this recipe. Also, don’t be tempted to skip the aromatics (onion and garlic) as they will add depth and complexity to the final dish.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you’ve gathered all the ingredients, let’s get cooking! This Instant Pot Refried Beans recipe is simple to make, and with the help of the pressure cooker, it only takes a fraction of the time compared to traditional cooking methods.
Step 1: Soaking the Beans
The first step in making refried beans is to soak dried pinto beans. There are two methods to soak the beans: the long soak and the quick soak method. For this recipe, I will be using the quick soak method.
To do so, start by rinsing the beans under running water and picking out any debris or shriveled beans. Then add them to your Instant Pot followed by 6 cups of water. Close the lid and turn the valve to sealing. Set your instant pot on manual mode, on high pressure for 5 minutes then after 5 minutes, release the pressure valve Press cancel and carefully open lid,set aside the beans and drain any remaining water.
Step 2: Sautéing Onion and Garlic
After soaking the beans, it’s time to start adding flavor to your dish! Start by pressing sauté on your Instant Pot following by adding 2 chopped onions, 4 minced garlic cloves, and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
Step 3: Cooking The Beans
Next, add in your drained beans followed by 6 cups of low sodium chicken broth, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp dried oregano, and finally a dash of cayenne pepper for some heat! Give everything a good stir before closing your Instant Pot lid. Set it on manual mode at high pressure for about 40-45 minutes.
Step 4: Releasing The Pressure
When finished cooking, let your Instant Pot naturally release pressure for about 10-15 minutes before carefully turning the valve to release any remaining pressure. Open the lid, discard bay leaves and give the beans a stir.
Step 5: Making Refried Beans
Now it’s time to make the beans creamy and smooth. Start by pressing sauté on your Instant Pot followed by adding 1 tbsp of olive oil to your cooked beans. Using an immersion blender or a potato masher, start refrying your beans by mashing them until they reach your desired consistency. If you prefer creamier beans, add a bit of water while you’re blending.
Step 6: Seasoning The Beans
After making refried pinto beans add salt and pepper to taste before topping with sweet basil or chipotle if preferred.
Congratulations, you have now made delicious homemade refried beans in no time with the Instant Pot Refried Beans recipe!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re looking to switch things up with this Instant Pot Refried Beans recipe, there are several easy substitutions and variations you can make. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
– Spices: While this recipe calls for cayenne pepper, dried oregano, ground cumin, and kosher salt, you can experiment with other spices as well. For a smokier flavor, try adding a touch of chipotle powder. For a hint of sweetness, add a pinch of sweet basil.
– Bean Varieties: If you don’t have pinto beans on hand, you can easily swap them out for black beans or kidney beans. Just keep in mind that the cooking times may need to be adjusted slightly.
– Canned Beans: While we love the flavor of homemade refried beans, canned beans can be a quick and easy substitute when you’re short on time. If using canned beans, skip the soaking step and simply drain and rinse the beans before adding them to the Instant Pot.
– Creamy Beans: For a creamier texture, feel free to add a splash of heavy cream or sour cream to the finished product.
– Bean Dip: If you’re looking for a tasty dip for your next party or gathering, simply blend the refried beans in a food processor until smooth. Serve with tortilla chips or fresh vegetables for a delicious snack.
– Authentic Refried Beans: To make authentic refried beans like they do in Mexican kitchens, simply fry up some onion and garlic in olive oil before adding the cooked pinto beans to the pan. Use a potato masher or immersion blender to mash the beans until they reach your desired consistency.
By playing around with different spices, bean varieties, and cooking techniques, you can create a range of delicious dishes using this versatile recipe. So don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own!
Serving and Pairing
Now that you have perfected your Instant Pot Refried Beans, it’s time to consider how to best serve and pair it with other dishes. As an authentic refried beans recipe, it can be a star ingredient in many dishes. These beans are the perfect accompaniment to traditional Mexican dishes such as burritos or chimichangas, and they make for a great side to any meal.
For a healthier option, try using these refried beans as a base for bean dip or top sweet potato chips for a delicious snack. Adding a dollop of sour cream or some shredded cheese on top can take these beans to the next level. You can also experiment with adding different spices like chipotle or sweet basil for a unique twist on this classic recipe.
If you want to make it into a main dish in its own right, add some grilled chicken or beef, cheese, and avocado salsa wrapped in a tortilla for an easy and satisfying burrito meal.
To enhance your experience while eating Instant Pot Refried Beans, try pairing it with other Mexican dishes such as guacamole or salsa verde. The bright flavors in these dishes complement the rich and savory taste of the beans perfectly.
Overall, no matter how you choose to serve and pair them, these homemade refried beans will make your meal authentic and deliciously satisfying.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about this Instant Pot Refried Beans recipe is that it’s a fantastic make-ahead dish. You can easily double or triple the recipe, then store the beans in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply place the beans in a saucepan over medium heat and stir occasionally until heated through.
For an even quicker reheating option, you can use a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes. If you find that your beans are too thick after refrigeration or freezing, simply stir in a bit of water or low sodium chicken broth to loosen them up.
Additionally, if you have leftover refried beans from another meal (or if you simply don’t have time to make them from scratch), they can easily be transformed into something new and exciting. Try using them as a base for bean dip by adding some chipotle or sweet basil, or even blend them for creamy beans to serve alongside your favorite Mexican dish.
Overall, this Instant Pot Refried Beans recipe is versatile and easy to prepare, making it perfect for busy weeknights and stress-free entertaining. Plus, with its authentic flavor and creamy texture, it’s sure to become a recurring favorite on your dinner table.
Tips for Perfect Results
Refried beans are a staple of Mexican and Latin American cuisine that can be enjoyed as a side dish or as a base for other recipes such as tacos, burritos, nachos, and bean dips. Making them at home in an instant pot is easy and convenient, but there are some tips you need to follow to ensure perfect results every time.
Firstly, it’s important to start with high-quality ingredients. Use fresh garlic cloves, onion and olive oil to sauté the onions and add flavor to the beans. The type of beans you use will also affect the final taste and texture of your refried beans. Dried pinto beans are the most commonly used variety, but you can also experiment with black beans or kidney beans.
Secondly, add spices such as cumin, oregano, and bay leaves for additional depth of flavor. A pinch of cayenne pepper will give your refried beans a little kick if you like them spicy. Don’t forget to season with kosher salt and black pepper to bring out the flavors even more.
Thirdly, don’t skip the soaking step. Soaking dried beans not only shortens the cooking time but also removes phytic acid and other anti-nutrients that make digestion difficult. Use the easy soak method by covering your dried pinto beans with water in a pot or bowl overnight. Drain and rinse in the morning before adding them to your instant pot.
Fourthly, use enough liquid when cooking your refried beans in an instant pot. For 2 cups of dried pinto beans, add 8 cups of water or low-sodium chicken broth. This will prevent burning or scorching which can happen if there isn’t enough liquid in the pot.
Fifthly, be patient when using your instant pot for cooking refried beans – it takes time for the pot to come up to pressure and then release it naturally. If you’re in a rush, you can use the quick release method, but keep in mind that your beans may not be as tender or creamy.
Lastly, don’t hesitate to customize your refried beans recipe with your favorite toppings such as chopped cilantro, crumbled cotija cheese, sliced avocado or hot sauce. With these tips and tricks for perfect results, you’ll be able to enjoy homemade authentic refried beans in no time!
And that, dear readers, is how you can make amazing Instant Pot Refried Beans in no time! No need to spend hours cooking beans on the stove or buying canned refried beans. With this recipe, you can have authentic and flavorful refried beans made with dried pinto beans and only a few kitchen staples.
By using the Instant Pot, you’ll not only save time but also preserve the nutrients and flavors of the beans. Plus, you’ll have a delicious and versatile side dish or base for many Mexican-inspired meals. Trust me; your family and guests will notice the difference!
So whether you’re making a bean dip, a burrito bowl or just want to add some creamy beans to your plate, this Instant Pot Refried Beans recipe will make your taste buds dance with joy. Don’t forget to experiment with spices like chipotle, sweet basil or adjust the salt and pepper to your liking. The possibilities are endless!
I hope this recipe article inspired you to try something new in the kitchen and get creative with your meals. Remember that cooking is an art, so feel free to add your personal touch and share this recipe with your loved ones. Homemade food is always better than store-bought, so let’s keep exploring new flavors and techniques. Happy Cooking!
Instant Pot Refried Beans Recipe
- 1 lb dry pinto beans (2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 jalapeno (cored, seeded, and finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about a tablespoon)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth (divided) or 4 cups vegetable stock (divided)
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Place pinto beans in a large colander. Thoroughly rinse and pick beans over. Remove any damaged and discard. Set rinsed beans aside.
- Turn a 6 quart or larger instant pot to saute. Add the oil. Once hot, add the onion and jalapeno. Saute for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and let cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add a few splashes of chicken stock and scrape along the bottom of the pot to remove any stuck on bits of food (this will prevent a BURN warning). Add the remaining stock, water, bay leaves, salt, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and the rinsed and drained beans. Lightly stir to combine.
- Seal the instant pot. Cook on manual high for 45 minutes. When the 45 minutes of pressure cooking has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 25 minutes. Vent to release any remaining pressure, Carefully open the lid. The beans will be very liquidy.
- Discard the bay leaves. Reserves 2 cups of the bean cooking liquid in a bowl or measuring cup, and then drain the remainder. Return the beans to the pot. With an immersion blender (or by hand with a potato masher or blender), puree until the beans reach your desired consistency, adding some of the reserved liquid as needed. If you're doing in a blender make sure you let the beans cool first so they don't splatter. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Sprinkle with desired toppings like queso fresco or Monterey Jack cheese or salsa or diced tomatoes or diced red onion or chopped fresh cilantro or avocado.